In the following tutorial, you will learn how to merge layers in Illustrator. First, you will learn how to combine layers in Illustrator, and then how to merge all layers in Illustrator.
Once you've learned how to combine layers in Illustrator, head over to Envato Elements, where you can get unlimited downloads of stock videos, music, graphics, photos, fonts, and more.
What You'll Learn in This Illustrator Tutorial
- How to merge layers in Illustrator
- How to combine two layers in Illustrator
- How to combine all layers in Illustrator
1. How to Merge Layers in Illustrator
Go to the Layers panel (Window > Layers) and click the first layer to select it, and then hold down the Shift key and click another layer. This will automatically select all the layers that lie between the two layers you clicked.
To merge your selected layers, open the fly-out menu from the Layers panel and go to Merge Selected.
Alternatively, you can hold down the Control key and click each layer that you wish to select.
2. How to Combine All Layers in Illustrator
If you need to merge all layers in Illustrator, open the fly-out menu from the Layers panel and go to Flatten Artwork.
Keep in mind that the layer with that tiny arrow dictates the name of the resulting merged layer.
Congratulations! You're Done!
Now that you know how to merge layers in Illustrator, feel free to use these techniques in your future projects.
You can find some great sources of inspiration at Envato Elements, with interesting solutions to improve your design portfolio.
Want to Learn More?
We have loads of tutorials on Envato Tuts+, from beginner to intermediate level. Take a look!
- How to Lock a Layer in IllustratorAndrei Marius18 Oct 2022
- How to Make a Wavy Line in IllustratorAndrei Marius20 Nov 2022
- How to Deselect in IllustratorAndrei Marius10 Oct 2022
- How to Add a Stroke to a Path in PhotoshopAndrei Marius21 Nov 2022
- How to Make a Semicircle in IllustratorAndrei Marius22 Feb 2023
- What Is Isolation Mode in Illustrator?Andrei Marius29 Oct 2022