In the following tutorial, you will learn how to lock layers in Illustrator. First, you will learn how to lock a layer in Illustrator, and then you'll learn how to do it using the keyboard.
Once you've learned how to lock layers in Illustrator, you can head over to Envato Elements where you can get unlimited downloads of stock videos, music, graphics, photos, fonts, and much more.
What You'll Learn In This Illustrator Tutorial
- How to lock a layer in Illustrator
- How to lock layers in Illustrator using the keyboard
1. How to Lock a Layer in Illustrator
To lock a layer in Illustrator, you need to open the Layers panel (Window > Layers).
On the left side, between the eye icon and the layer color, you will find an empty square. Click it, and a lock icon will show up, meaning that the layer is locked. Once it's locked, you won't be able to select the shapes on that layer.
To unlock a layer, just click again on that same square to remove the lock icon.
2. How to Lock Layers in Illustrator
In some cases, you might want to lock more than one layer. To lock layers in Illustrator, all you have to do is click and drag across those empty squares. The same rule applies if you need to unlock several layers.
3. How to Lock Layers in Illustrator Using the Keyboard
Hold down the Alt key and click an empty square to keep that layer unlocked and lock the other layers.
Hold down the Alt key and click a locked layer to easily unlock all your locked layers.
Congratulations! You're Done!
Now that you know how to lock layers in Illustrator, feel free to use the techniques in your future projects.
You can find some great sources of inspiration at Envato Elements, with interesting solutions to improve your design portfolio.
Want to Learn More?
We have loads of tutorials on Envato Tuts+, from beginner to intermediate level. Take a look!
- How to Add Hex Codes in IllustratorAndrei Marius09 Jun 2022
- How to Make a Semicircle in IllustratorAndrei Marius01 May 2022
- How to Draw a Line in IllustratorAndrei Marius29 Jan 2022
- How to Make a Triangle in IllustratorAndrei Marius05 Oct 2020
- How to Make Gradient Text in IllustratorAndrei Marius11 Nov 2020
- How to Make a Grid in IllustratorAndrei Marius15 Jan 2022