In the following tutorial, you will learn how to make wavy lines in Illustrator. First, you will learn how to make a wavy line in Illustrator using a grid, the Pen Tool, or the Curvature Tool, and then how to make a perfect wavy line in Illustrator using an effect.
Once you learn how to create a wavy line in Illustrator, you can head over to Envato Elements where you can get unlimited downloads of stock videos, music, graphics, photos, fonts, and more. This set of backgrounds is just one of the many examples that might inspire you to create your own designs using wavy lines in Illustrator.
If you prefer to learn by watching a video, here's a cool new video from the Envato Tuts+ YouTube channel that will guide you along the way:
What You'll Learn in This Wavy Line Illustrator Tutorial
- How to make a wavy line in Illustrator using the Pen Tool
- How to make a wavy line in Illustrator using the Curvature Tool
- How to make a perfect wavy line in Illustrator
1. How to Make Wavy Lines in Illustrator Using the Pen and Curvature Tools
If you're a master with the Pen Tool (P), you can use it to create a wavy line in Illustrator. Setting up a grid and enabling the Snap to Grid features might make things easier. It all depends on the type of wavy line that you need to create.
Alternatively, you can use the Curvature Tool (Shift-~) to create a wavy line in Illustrator. Again, it all depends on the style that you're aiming for.
2. How to Make a Perfect Wavy Line in Illustrator
Making a wavy line in Illustrator point by point can be pretty time-consuming, and it might be really challenging if you're looking to create a perfect wavy line. To save this time and quickly create a perfect wavy line, you can use a Zig Zag effect.
Start by creating a line using the Pen Tool (P) or the Line Segment Tool (\). Select it and go to Effect > Distort & Transform > Zig Zag.
Check the Absolute and Smooth boxes to make sure that you'll get a smooth wavy line, play with the Size slider to adjust the size of the waves, and set the number of waves that should be added between every two anchor points from your selected path using the Ridges per segment setting. Adding more anchor points to the line will increase the number of waves.
Click OK to apply the effect, and keep in mind that you can always go to the Appearance panel (Window > Appearance) to reopen the applied Zig Zag effect and make any adjustments.
3. How to Make Wavy Lines in Illustrator Using the Transform Effect
Finally, you can easily multiply your wavy line using a Transform effect. Make sure that your wavy line is selected and go to Effect > Distort & Transform > Transform. Set the number of Copies that you wish to add, play with that Move-Vertical slider to adjust the spacing between your wavy lines, and then click OK to apply the effect.
As with the Zig Zag effect, you can always go to the Appearance panel to open the already applied Transform effect and make adjustments.
Congratulations! You're Done!
Now that you learned to make a wavy line in Illustrator, feel free to use these techniques in your future projects.
You can find some great sources of inspiration at Envato Elements, with interesting solutions to improve your design portfolio.
Want to Learn More?
We have loads of tutorials on Envato Tuts+, from beginner to intermediate level. Take a look!
- How to Draw a Line in IllustratorAndrei Marius29 Jan 2022
- How to Make a Triangle in IllustratorAndrei Marius05 Oct 2020
- How to Make a Grid in IllustratorAndrei Marius15 Jan 2022
- How to Make a Semicircle in IllustratorAndrei Marius01 May 2022
- How to Create a Starburst Background in IllustratorAndrei Marius24 Mar 2022
- How to Create a 70s Background in IllustratorAndrei Marius03 Mar 2022