In the following tutorial, you will learn how to add a stroke to a path in Photoshop using simple techniques.
Once you learn how to add a stroke to a path in Photoshop, you can head over to Envato Elements, where you can get unlimited downloads of stock videos, music, graphics, photos, fonts, and more. This set of long stroke brushes could be the perfect choice when you need to add realistic brushstrokes to a path in Photoshop.
What You'll Learn in This Tutorial
- How to add a stroke to a path in Photoshop
- How to add a brushstroke to a path in Photoshop
1. How to Use Photoshop's Pen Tool to Stroke a Path
First, let's see how you can Photoshop's Pen Tool to stroke a path.
Focus on your toolbar and select one of those Pen Tools (P). Move to the Options bar to select the Shape tool mode, and then you can create your path.
Keep your path selected and return to the Options bar. Click the Stroke color swatch to open the fly-out menu and pick the desired color. You can select one of the preset colors or click the Color Picker button to set a custom color.
Next to the color swatch, you have the stroke Width setting. Use it to adjust the thickness of a stroke on a path in Photoshop.
Next to the Width setting, you have the Stroke Options, which can be used to further stylize a stroke on a path in Photoshop. Among other things, this can be useful if you need to create dashed or dotted strokes on a path in Photoshop.
2. How to Stroke a Path in Photoshop Using the Brush Tool
Keep in mind that if you choose to use this technique, you won't be able to readjust the stroke settings after you apply it.
Again, select one of your Pen Tools (P) and focus on the Options bar to select the Path tool mode. Once you're done, you can draw your path.
Make sure that your path is still active, and select a layer from the Layers panel (Window > Layers), and then right-click anywhere on your canvas and just go to Stroke Path.
You can also choose the Pencil, but for this example we'll use the Brush. Select it, click OK and this will add a brush along your active path. Photoshop will apply the latest brush that you used.
Congratulations! You're Done!
Now that you've learned how to stroke a path in Photoshop, feel free to use these techniques in your future projects.
You can find some great sources of inspiration at Envato Elements, with interesting solutions to improve your design portfolio.
Want to Learn More?
We have loads of tutorials on Envato Tuts+, from beginner to intermediate level. Take a look!
- How to Draw an Arrow in PhotoshopAndrei Marius02 Jul 2022
- How to Create a Transparent Gradient in PhotoshopAndrei Marius02 Mar 2022
- How to Make Shapes in PhotoshopAndrei Marius18 Dec 2021
- How to Add Bleed and Crop Marks in PhotoshopAndrei Marius26 Oct 2021
- How to Create a Rainbow Gradient in PhotoshopAbbey Esparza04 Feb 2022
- How to Deselect in PhotoshopMarko Kožokar06 Sep 2021