Do you know how to add fonts to InDesign? If you're not quite sure how to add a font to InDesign, check out this walkthrough. It will show you everything you need to know.
1. How to Add Fonts to Adobe InDesign
To add fonts to Adobe InDesign, you need to install them on your computer first. Once the fonts are installed, they will be available in InDesign and other applications on your device. Lets go through the process of how to add fonts to InDesign.
First, you'll need to obtain the font files for your desired font. This is typically through either a purchase or a free download. You can find a library of thousands of fonts on Envato Elements if you're looking for new ones. These files typically have the extensions OTF (OpenType font) or TTF (TrueType font).
Install the fonts on your computer:
- For Windows:
- Right-click on the font file and select Install from the context menu.
- For macOS:
- Double-click on the font file, and Font Book (the default font management tool on macOS) will open. Click the Install Font button to install the font.
If you're having trouble with this process, check out these detailed walkthroughs for extra help:
- How to Install Fonts on Windows 11Ivan Gromov06 Apr 2023
- How to Install a Font on MacDaisy Ein21 Jan 2020
To access the fonts, open the Character panel in InDesign by going to Window > Type & Tables > Character. You can also find the font options in the control panel when the Type Tool is selected.
Now you know how to add fonts to InDesign. Let's take a quick look at how to access them.
Take a closer look at the Character panel. You'll see a drop-down list of available fonts there. Scroll through the list to find and select the font you want to use. You can further style and format the text using the options in the Character panel, such as font size, color, and weight.
Once you've selected the desired font, click and drag to create a text frame with the Type Tool—or click within an existing text frame and start typing to apply the font to your text.
In this example, I've selected the existing text and then chosen a new font in the Character panel.
Now You Know How to Add Fonts to Adobe InDesign
Now that you know how to add a font to InDesign, what fonts will you try out? Remember to check out all of the amazing fonts over at Envato Elements. One low price gets you access to thousands of fonts, all included with unlimited downloads!
Learn More About Adobe InDesign
There's so much more to learn about Adobe InDesign here at Envato Tuts+. You can learn everything from InDesign basics to advanced concepts, right here, for free! Why not check out another tutorial right now?
- How to Make a Grid in InDesignAshlee Harrell18 Jul 2023
- How to Underline Text in InDesignAshlee Harrell21 May 2023
- How to Preview in InDesignErica Gamet19 Mar 2023
- How to Make a Restaurant Menu Template in InDesignLaura Keung29 Aug 2023
- How to Create Type on a Path in InDesignZap Layden12 Nov 2022
- How to Create Columns in InDesignAshlee Harrell28 Nov 2022