Adobe InDesign is a powerful tool that can be used to create amazing publications, layouts, and more. In this tutorial, you will learn how to underline text in InDesign like a pro.
Underlining text in InDesign is great for placing emphasis on a word or phrase. By the end of this tutorial, you'll have learned how to underline type in InDesign, and how to change the weight and type of underline. I'll show you how to do this easily and quickly, with just a few clicks.
What You'll Learn in This Underline Text InDesign Tutorial
- How to underline font in InDesign
- How to change underline weights
What You'll Need
1. How to Underline a Font in InDesign
Figuring out how to underline in InDesign is fairly simple. To follow our example, open the Lonest Photography Portfolio in InDesign, install the Wensley font, and File > Place the woman sunflower field image. You can also simply use any text of your choice.
Grab the Type Tool (T) and highlight the text you want to underline.
To add underline in InDesign, click Underline in the top toolbar.
Another way to access the Underline feature is by bringing up the Character panel. If you have trouble finding the Character panel, go to Window > Types & Tables > Character. Click the hamburger menu in the top-right corner and select Underline.
2. How to Change Underline Weights
To change the weight of the underline, highlight the text with the Type Tool (T). Click Option-Underline in the top toolbar. The Underline Options box should appear. Change the Weight to 10 pt and the Color to C75 M55 Y68 K54.
Let's try out another type of underline. Bring up the Underline Options box again and change the Type to Wavy.
That's It! You've Learned How to Underline in InDesign
Thanks for following my tutorial on how to underline text in InDesign. Your image should now look similar to the one below. Feel free to play around with all the other types of underlines like dotted, white diamond, or solid.
Dive Deeper With These InDesign Tutorials!
Now that you've just finished learning about how to underline type in InDesign, check out some of these resources. This set of tutorials will help you dive deeper into the ins and outs of the program. Go from learning how to insert an image in InDesign all the way to creating type on a path.
- How to Package an InDesign FileAshlee Harrell19 Mar 2022
- How to Make a Triangle in InDesignErica Gamet06 Dec 2021
- How to Insert an Image in InDesignErica Gamet03 Dec 2021
- How to Preview in InDesignErica Gamet29 Dec 2021
- How to Highlight Text In InDesignHerry Sucahya06 Nov 2022
- How to Create Type on a Path in InDesignZap Layden25 Jun 2021
- How to Override Text Wrap in InDesignLaura Keung02 Sep 2019