Whether you want to organize your text or add some pizzazz to your design, columns are the way to go. Learn how to make columns in Adobe InDesign from a new document. Later on, I will also teach you how to add columns to text. Adding columns to text is great for magazines, reports, and menus.
What You Will Learn in This InDesign Columns Tutorial
- How to create columns in InDesign
- How to add columns to text in InDesign
What You'll Need
1. How to Create Columns in InDesign
To create InDesign columns, the first thing you need to do is create a new document by going to File > New > Document. Change the dimensions to 8.5 in by 11 in, and use the following settings:
- 12 Pages
- Facing Pages checked
- 3 Columns
- 0.625 in Column Gutter
- 0.5 in Margins
- 0.125 in Bleed
You should now have a 12-page document with columns. To adjust InDesign columns, go to the Pages panel. If you have trouble locating the panel, you can find it under Window > Pages.
Select the thumbnails in the Pages panel that you would like to adjust. Go to Layout > Margins and Columns. Change the Columns to 2. Click OK.
2. How to Add Columns to Text in InDesign
Open the Odyssey Magazine in InDesign. Go to spread 16/17. Select the text frame you would like to add columns to. In the top toolbar, change the Number of Columns to 2.
If the top toolbar is hidden, you can access it by changing your workspace layout. In the top right corner, select the default workspace and change to Essentials Classic or another until the top toolbar appears.
Knowledge Is Power!
Now that you've learned how to add columns in InDesign along with creating text columns, there's so much more to master. Learning InDesign will give you the power to design anything! Whether you're just starting out as a designer or are looking to take your skills to the next level, this set of tutorials will be perfect for you.
- How to Change the Leading in InDesignLaura Keung07 Aug 2022
- How to Link Text Boxes in InDesignAshlee Harrell15 Jun 2022
- How to Make a Triangle in InDesignErica Gamet06 Dec 2021
- How to Make a Portfolio Brochure Template in InDesignGrace Fussell13 Sep 2022
- How to Insert an Image in InDesignErica Gamet03 Dec 2021
- How to Turn Off Hyphenation in InDesignErica Gamet25 Dec 2021