When in doubt, create your own cool tie-dye patterns! Learn how to make a tie-dye effect in under a minute and decorate your work with custom tie-dye patterns! They're an essential resource for designers and are super easy to make.
In this quick video, I'll show you how to use Photoshop's different filter tools to create a custom tie-dye texture. Experiment with colors and more, and show us your results! With tie-dye now trending in the design world, this is a great time to create your own designs. And if you liked this video, don't forget to visit and subscribe to the Envato Tuts+ YouTube channel for more!
What You'll Learn in This Quick Tie-Dye Photoshop Tutorial
- How to create a new document with colors
- How to blend the colors together
- How to create a tie-dye effect
- How to add texture to the tie-dye effect
Tie-Dye Texture Tutorial Assets
1. How to Create a New Document With Colors
Let's learn how to make a tie-dye background in Photoshop. First, create a New Document at 850 x 850 pixels, and then add a New Layer.
Use the Rectangular Marquee Tool (M) to create a vertical selection and Fill it with color using the Paint Bucket Tool (G).
Repeat this process until the entire document is filled with any alternating colors that you like.
Here are the colors I've used:
2. How to Blend the Colors Together
To create a tie-dye in Photoshop, you need to blend the colors together. Go to Filter > Blur > Gaussian Blur and add a Radius of 25 pixels.
Next, go to Filter > Distort > Polar Coordinates and choose Rectangular to Polar.
3. How to Create a Tie-Dye Effect
For the tie-dye effect, go to Filter > Liquify and select the Twirl Clockwise Tool (C).
Increase the size of your brush before clicking and holding the center to twirl the colors. Use the Forward Warp Tool (W) to drag lines out from the center and distort the pattern. (You can also blur any harsh lines with the Blur Tool (O).)
Experiment with different directions for a better look until you create a tie-dye in Photoshop that you like.
4. How to Add Texture to the Tie-Dye Effect
Add more texture by setting a Watercolor Stock to Overlay and lowering the Opacity to 82%. Then, Merge all the layers together. To create the final pattern, select the Rectangular Marquee Tool (M), and go to Edit > Define Pattern. That's how you create a realistic tie-dye texture.
You're Done! You've Made a Tie-Dye Texture in Photoshop
You've learned how to make a tie-dye background in Photoshop with a realistic look. Now it's your turn to play with colors and textures to create even more cool tie-dye patterns! See below how we used the tie-dye texture on a pillow mockup. That's just one application for tie-dye patterns—keep exploring more!
Apply cool tie-dye patterns to different scenes like this Pillow Mockup for more fun variations.
5 Top Tie-Dye Textures and Add-Ons From Envato Elements
Now that you know how to create a tie-dye in Photoshop, you might be wondering if there are add-ons you can use to speed up the process.
If you use design software on a daily basis, you need to visit Envato Elements, a subscription-based marketplace. For a flat monthly fee, you can download unlimited Photoshop add-ons, Procreate add-ons, premium fonts, graphic templates, and more.
Here we'll show you five cool tie-dye patterns that you can use in Photoshop and Procreate.
1. Shibori Tie-Dye Photoshop Seamless Patterns (JPG, PSD)
Are you looking for ready-to-use tie-dye patterns for Photoshop? This unique tie-dye Photoshop kit is waiting for you.
The tie-dye texture you see here is inspired by Shibori, a traditional Japanese technique to manually tie-dye fabric. This gives the effect a unique look.
The download includes:
- 10 JPG files with tie-dye patterns tiles
- 10 PSD files with tie-dye patterns tiles
- 10 JPG digital papers
2. Realistic Procreate Tie-Dye Brush (BRUSHSET, SWATCHES)
If you use Procreate, you'll love this classic Procreate tie-dye kit. These Procreate tie-dye brushes were made from actual tie-dyed fabrics for a realistic look. There are 25+ main brushes with different shapes and a bonus color palette to create cool tie-dye patterns.
3. Shibori Procreate Tie-Dye Brush (BRUSHSET, SWATCHES)
This Procreate tie-dye kit is also inspired by the traditional Japanese tie-dye technique. The download includes 10+ realistic Shibori Procreate tie-dye brushes for your projects.
4. Ink Blot Procreate Tie-Dye Brushes (BRUSHSET, SWATCHES)
Do you want to replicate ink blots on your tie-dye textures? This Procreate tie-dye set is for you. There are 10+ main brushes with different shapes and a bonus color palette. The brushes have a large resolution and can be applied to various designs.
5. Shibori Seamless Procreate Tie-Dye Brush (BRUSHSET, SWATCHES)
If you're becoming a fan of the beautiful Japanese tie-dying technique, you need to check these Procreate tie-dye add-ons.
The brushes are made using the original shape and texture of a Shibori Batik patterned fabric, so that it gives a real impression on every brushstroke. These tie-dye patterns can be combined to create a beautiful piece.
Discover More Awesome Tutorials and Resources
This is part of a series of quick video tutorials on Envato Tuts+ in which we introduce a range of subjects, all in 60 seconds—just enough to whet your appetite.
Inspired to create custom patterns? Start with one of our tutorials! Continue to grow your skills over time while growing your collection of resources.
And check out these tutorials to learn more from our experts:
- PatternsPhotoshop in 60 Seconds: How to Install and Use PatternsMelody Nieves
- PatternsHow to Create a 90s Geometric Pattern Using Basic Shapes in Adobe PhotoshopMohammad Jeprie
- Adobe PhotoshopHow to Add a Texture Overlay in PhotoshopIvan Gromov
- Photoshop Templates1,000+ Best Photoshop Textures From Envato Elements (Textures, Overlays, Brushes)Nona Blackman
- Overlay100+ Free Photoshop Overlays and TexturesDaisy Ein
- Adobe PhotoshopHow to Apply Texture to Text in PhotoshopZap Layden
- Adobe PhotoshopHow to Make an Old Paper Texture in PhotoshopIvan Gromov
- TexturesHow to Create a Wood Grain Texture in PhotoshopMissChatz
- BrushesHow to Create Custom Brushes to Render Fur in Adobe PhotoshopMary Winkler
- BrushesCreate Your Own Grunge Brushes in Adobe PhotoshopMary Winkler
- Photoshop Actions25 Cool Photoshop Watercolor Effects & Filters With TextureMelody Nieves
- PatternsHow to Make a Grid Pattern in PhotoshopAndrei Marius
Editorial Note: This post has been updated with contributions from Maria Villanueva. Maria is the Associate Editor of the Tuts+ Design channel.