Wondering how to make an old paper texture in Photoshop? In today's tutorial, I will show you how to create a paper texture overlay from scratch using paper, coffee, and a scanner, and then I will show you how to apply this old paper overlay to your images. And finally, we will take a look at an old paper texture Photoshop pack with ready-to-use overlays.
What You'll Learn in This Old Paper Texture Tutorial
- How to create an old paper texture from scratch
- How to apply an old paper texture in Photoshop
- How to use and combine old paper overlay textures
- Where you can find hi-res folded paper textures
If you want to learn these techniques via video, check out our lesson on the Envato Tuts+ YouTube channel:
What You'll Need
You will need the following assets to complete this project:
- Any photo you want to use for this manipulation. I chose this church photo from Envato Elements.
- A sheet of paper
- A paintbrush
- Coffee or tea
- A scanner
1. How to Create an Old Paper Texture From Scratch
We'll make the paper look old by covering it with coffee. First of all, you need to make some strong coffee (you could use tea as well).
After that, just cover the surface of the paper with your coffee using a brush.
Create a few different papers, and don't hesitate to crumple them once you've got the texture you like. Wait until the paper dries, and then put it in the scanner. Here are a few variations of crumpled paper textures and old paper textures I made using these simple techniques:
2. How to Create an Old Paper Texture Photoshop Overlay
Once you've finished scanning the texture, open the image you want to use.
Go to File > Place and resize your crumpled paper texture to fit the image.
Change the Blending Mode of the layer to Multiply.
Press Alt-Control-Shift-B to convert the texture to black and white.
Go to Layer > New Adjustment Layer > Brightness/Contrast and set the Brightness to +30 and Contrast to +25.
This is how our textured image should look:
3. Where to Find Paper Texture Overlay Photoshop Packs
If you're looking for a place where you can find a collection of high-quality paper textures, try Envato Elements! You'll find all kinds of textures, overlays, backgrounds, and much more. All the assets are carefully hand-crafted by professional designers.
I've found this amazing 30 Vintage Paper Textures Pack with highly detailed old paper scans. Let's try to use it with our image.
4. How to Use and Combine Old Paper Overlay Textures
Let's place Vintage Texture 25 and Vintage Texture 5 over our photo.
Select the first texture and hit Alt-Control-Shift-B to convert the texture to black and white.
Change the Blending Mode of the layer to Soft Light.
Change the Blending Mode of the second texture to Multiply.
And finally, go to Layer > New Adjustment Layer > Brightness/Contrast and set the following settings:
- Brightness: 50
- Contrast: 25
Awesome Work, You're Now Done!
In this simple way, we can create a paper texture overlay Photoshop effect using the hand-crafted textures or the paper texture packs from Envato Elements. Feel free to ask anything about textures or share your creations in the comment section below!
Don't forget to grab the hi-res folded paper texture package that we used today! It's a really great tool for your design projects.
Want to learn more about textures and overlays? Check out these awesome tutorials:
- TexturesHow to Photograph Textures for DesignersMarie Gardiner
- TexturesHow to Create a Dusty Texture From ScratchIvan Gromov
- GeometricHow to Create Textured, Geometric Objects in Adobe PhotoshopMelody Nieves
- BrushesPhotoshop in 60 Seconds: Create Custom Brushes From Texture GraphicsMelody Nieves
- Adobe PhotoshopHow to Create Vintage Photos With Faded Effect Photoshop ActionsIvan Gromov