When in doubt, create your own cool Photoshop tie-dye patterns! Learn how to make a tie-dye effect in under a minute and decorate your work with custom tie-dye patterns! They're an essential resource for designers and are super easy to make.
Are you obsessed with tie-dye graphics? Want to learn how to create a tie-dye effect in Photoshop? In this quick video, I'll show you how to use Photoshop's different filter tools to create a custom tie-dye texture. Experiment with colors and more to create an amazing Photoshop tie-dye! With tie-dye graphics trending in the design world, this is a great time to create your own designs. You won't need a tie-dye generator to do this.
If you liked this video, don't forget to visit and subscribe to the Envato Tuts+ YouTube channel for more!
What You'll Learn in This Quick Tie-Dye Photoshop Tutorial
- How to create a new document with colors
- How to blend the colors together
- How to create a tie-dye effect
- How to add texture to the tie-dye effect
Tie-Dye Texture Tutorial Assets
1. How to Create a New Document With Colors
Let's learn how to make a tie-dye background in Photoshop. First, create a New Document at 850 x 850 pixels, and then add a New Layer.
Use the Rectangular Marquee Tool (M) to create a vertical selection and Fill it with color using the Paint Bucket Tool (G).
Repeat this process until the entire document is filled with any alternating colors that you like.
Here are the colors I've used:
2. How to Blend the Colors Together
To create a tie-dye in Photoshop, you need to blend the colors together. Go to Filter > Blur > Gaussian Blur and add a Radius of 25 pixels.
Next, go to Filter > Distort > Polar Coordinates and choose Rectangular to Polar.
3. How to Create a Tie-Dye Effect
For the tie-dye effect, go to Filter > Liquify and select the Twirl Clockwise Tool (C).
Increase the size of your brush before clicking and holding the center to twirl the colors. Use the Forward Warp Tool (W) to drag lines out from the center and distort the pattern. (You can also blur any harsh lines with the Blur Tool (O).)
Experiment with different directions for a better look until you create a tie-dye in Photoshop that you like. Get the tie-dye effect you want.
4. How to Add Texture to the Tie-Dye Effect
Add more texture to our tie-dye effect by setting the Watercolor Stock to Overlay and lowering the Opacity to 82%. Then, Merge all the layers together. To create the final pattern, select the Rectangular Marquee Tool (M), and go to Edit > Define Pattern. That's how you create a realistic tie-dye texture.
Now you know how to make a tie-dye in Photoshop!
You're Done! You've Made a Tie-Dye Texture in Photoshop
You've learned how to make a tie-dye background in Photoshop with a realistic look. You don't need a tie-dye generator for this. Create a personalized tie-dye texture in Photoshop.
Now it's your turn to play with colors and textures to create even more cool tie-dye patterns! See below how we used the tie-dye texture on a pillow mockup. That's just one application for tie-dye patterns—keep exploring more!
Apply cool tie-dye patterns in PNG to different scenes like this Pillow Mockup for more fun variations.
5 Top Tie-Dye Textures and Add-Ons From Envato Elements
Now that you know how to create a tie-dye in Photoshop, you might be wondering if there are add-ons you can use to speed up the process.
If you use design software on a daily basis, you need to visit Envato Elements, a subscription-based marketplace. For a flat monthly fee, you can download unlimited Photoshop add-ons, Procreate add-ons, premium fonts, graphic templates, and more.
Here we'll show you five cool tie-dye patterns that you can use in Photoshop and Procreate. Create a unique tie-dye texture with any of these downloads:
1. Shibori Tie-Dye Photoshop Seamless Patterns (JPG, PSD)
Are you looking for ready-to-use tie-dye patterns for Photoshop? This unique tie-dye Photoshop kit is waiting for you.
The tie-dye texture you see here is inspired by Shibori, a traditional Japanese technique to manually tie-dye fabric. This gives the effect a unique look. Start creating a cool tie-dye effect in Photoshop!
With this download, you won't need a tie-dye pattern generator. You'll get:
- 10 JPG files with tie-dye pattern tiles
- 10 PSD files with tie-dye pattern tiles
- 10 JPG digital papers
2. Realistic Procreate Tie-Dye Brush (BRUSHSET, SWATCHES)
If you use Procreate, you'll love this classic Procreate tie-dye kit. These Procreate tie-dye brushes were made from actual tie-dyed fabrics for a realistic look. There are 25+ main brushes with different shapes and a bonus color palette to create cool tie-dye patterns. Maybe even turn this into a cool tie-dye swatch or go ahead and create an amazing tie-dye graphic!
3. Shibori Procreate Tie-Dye Brush (BRUSHSET, SWATCHES)
Forget about looking for a digital tie-dye pattern generator. This Procreate tie-dye kit is also inspired by the traditional Japanese tie-dye technique. The download includes more than ten realistic Shibori Procreate tie-dye brushes for your projects.
4. Ink Blot Procreate Tie-Dye Brushes (BRUSHSET, SWATCHES)
Do you want to replicate ink blots on your tie-dye textures? This Procreate tie-dye set is for you. There are more than ten main brushes with different shapes and a bonus color palette. The brushes have a large resolution and can be applied to create different digital tie-dye graphics. This could turn into a cool tie-dye swatch.
5. Shibori Seamless Procreate Tie-Dye Brush (BRUSHSET, SWATCHES)
If you're becoming a fan of the beautiful Japanese tie-dying technique, you need to check these Procreate tie-dye add-ons. The brushes are made using the original shape and texture of a Shibori Batik patterned fabric. These digital tie-dye patterns can be combined to create a beautiful piece.
Discover More Awesome Tutorials and Resources
Inspired to create custom patterns? Start with one of our tutorials! Continue to grow your skills over time while growing your collection of resources.
And check out these tutorials to learn more from our experts:
- Photoshop in 60 Seconds: How to Install and Use PatternsMelody Nieves09 Feb 2017
- How to Create a 90s Geometric Pattern Using Basic Shapes in Adobe PhotoshopMohammad Jeprie23 Aug 2017
- How to Add a Texture Overlay in PhotoshopIvan Gromov21 Jul 2021
- 1,000+ Best Photoshop Textures From Envato Elements (Textures, Overlays, Brushes)Nona Blackman08 Oct 2020
- 100+ Free Photoshop Overlays and TexturesDaisy Ein16 Sep 2021
- How to Apply Texture to Text in PhotoshopZap Layden17 Mar 2021
- How to Make an Old Paper Texture in PhotoshopIvan Gromov22 Sep 2020
- How to Create a Wood Grain Texture in PhotoshopMissChatz24 Sep 2020
- How to Create Custom Brushes to Render Fur in Adobe PhotoshopMary Winkler16 Sep 2021
- Create Your Own Grunge Brushes in Adobe PhotoshopMary Winkler01 Sep 2021
- 25 Cool Photoshop Watercolor Effects & Filters With TextureMelody Nieves06 Jun 2022
- How to Make a Grid Pattern in PhotoshopAndrei Marius29 Jun 2021
- How to Make Halftone Effect Patterns and Brushes in Photoshop and IllustratorLaura Keung20 Mar 2020
- How to Make a Rorschach Inkblot Effect in PhotoshopAbbey Esparza26 Jul 2022
- How to Design Your Own Camouflage PatternMonika Zagrobelna25 Apr 2021
Editorial Note: This post has been updated with contributions from Maria Villanueva and Janila Castañeda. Maria is the Associate Editor of the Tuts+ Design channel. Janila is a staff writer with Envato Tuts+.