Do you want to know how to use the Lasso Tool in Photoshop? In this Lasso Tool tutorial, I will show you a few simple and effective techniques to use this instrument.
What You'll Learn in This Lasso Tool Tutorial
- The basics of how to use the lasso in Photoshop
- How to use the Polygonal Lasso Tool
- How to use the Magnetic Lasso Tool in Photoshop
The following assets were used during the production of this Lasso Tool tutorial:
- Astronaut Working in Space Simulation Illustration
- Heptagon Gold Frame on Abstract Background Illustration
- A Slice of Orange
1. Basics of Using the Lasso Tool in Photoshop
Open our illustration and select the Lasso Tool in the Tools panel.
Let's make a selection around the astronaut with the Lasso Tool.
You can refine your selection with the Shift and Alt keys. Hold Shift while using the Lasso Tool in Photoshop to expand the selection or Alt to decrease it.
You can also activate different selection settings by pressing the icons in the top panel. The first one is the standard selection, the second one works the same as the Shift key and will expand your selection, the third one will work the same as the Alt key, and the last one will intersect with your selection.
You can also use the Feather setting to define the "featheriness" of the edges of your selection. Take a look at these examples of the same selections with different feather settings:
2. How to Use the Polygonal Lasso Tool
Let's open another image and select the Polygonal Lasso Tool in the Tools panel.
The Polygonal Lasso Tool can be a great instrument to select geometrical elements. Let's make a selection with single clicks. If you make a mistake while selecting your object, you can always press Backspace to remove the last point and go back to the previous stage of selection.
Let's press Delete to better see our selection:
3. How to Use the Magnetic Lasso Tool in Photoshop
Another use of the Lasso Tool is magnetic selection. The Magnetic Lasso Tool can select an object with a great level of accuracy just by dragging it around the object. Let's open the other image and select the Magnetic Lasso Tool.
Make a first point of the selection with a single click and then just drag your lasso around the orange. Voila!
Awesome Work: Today You've Learned How to Use the Lasso Tool
Today, we've discovered how to use the lasso in Photoshop for selecting and cutting objects. I hope you enjoyed the tutorial, and if you want to learn more about Photoshop tools, check out these amazing tutorials:
- Beginner's Guide: How to Crop in PhotoshopIvan Gromov02 Nov 2021
- How to Resize an Image in PhotoshopJonathan Lam02 Jun 2021
- How to Center Something in Photoshop (Text, Images, Objects)Ivan Gromov11 Oct 2021
- How to Unlock a Layer in PhotoshopIvan Gromov05 Oct 2021
- How to Extend a Background in PhotoshopIvan Gromov23 Aug 2021
- How to Flip a Layer in PhotoshopIvan Gromov10 May 2023
- How to Change the Background Color in PhotoshopIvan Gromov05 Nov 2020
- How to Fix Red Eye in PhotoshopAbbey Esparza17 Jan 2022