Wondering how to draw a perfect circle in Procreate? Today, I'm going to show you how to make a circle using the shape tool in Procreate.
What You'll Learn in This Procreate Perfect Circle Tutorial
- How to make a perfect circle on Procreate
- How to transform or scale a perfect circle uniformly in Procreate
- How to customize the QuickShape tool and edit the last drawn perfect circle or ellipse in Procreate
- How to create a vibrant artwork with perfect circles, semi-circles, and ellipses using Procreate's shape tool
1. How to Make a Perfect Circle in Procreate: The QuickShape Tool
In this section, we are going to learn how to make a perfect circle on Procreate using the QuickShape tool designed for it. Create an oval using any brush of your choice. Here, I have used a solid ink 1 brush from the Pro Painters Procreate Brushset.
Draw the shape and keep your pencil held on the canvas. After a moment, Edit Shape will appear automatically at the top. In Edit Shape mode, the available options are determined by your initial shape. Here, since our original shape is an oval, you will get two options: Ellipse and Circle. These appear as buttons in the notification bar. Click on the Circle Shape Tool to transform an oval shape into a perfect circle in Procreate.
2. How to Transform or Scale a Perfect Circle on Procreate
In Edit Shape mode, transform nodes will appear on your circular shape in Procreate. This will give you more precise control. Drag a node to adjust any part of your circular shape in Procreate. You can also scale your circle uniformly by dragging the shape itself at any location between the nodes.
When you’re done, tap anywhere on the canvas outside of the circle to exit Edit Shape mode.
3. How to Customize the QuickShape Tool and Edit the Last Drawn Perfect Circle or Ellipse in Procreate
For even finer control over the QuickShape tool, navigate to Actions > Prefs > Gesture Controls > QuickShape. Turn on the first and last settings. Click on Done to exit the Gesture Controls menu.
Now, when you click on the square button, the Edit Shape option will appear for the last drawn shape, which happens to be a circle here. You can then go ahead and make further changes to the circle in Procreate.
4. How to Make a Perfect Circle in Procreate: Walk-Through
Let's continue learning how to make a circle in Procreate. We'll create artwork with perfect circles in Procreate using everything we've learned so far.
Go to Procreate > + and you'll get a drop-down menu. Click on the Custom Canvas icon at the top.
Create a Custom Canvas with these settings:
- Width: 1700 pixel
- Height: 1000 pixel
- DPI: 300
- Color Profile: sRGB
Fill the background layer 1 with a light cream color. And on layer 2, you can create a rough sketch of your artwork using a sketch pencil or ink brush. Here again, I have used a solid ink 1 brush from the Pro Painters Procreate Brushset. Feel free to use any smooth brush of your choice.
We will create a new layer between the background layer and the sketch layer. With the same smooth solid ink brush, create a perfect circle with the dark blue color selected. Drag and drop the color inside the perfect circle in Procreate.
Create three layers between the Dark Background Layer and the Sketch Layer. Rename the layers. With the same brush used in the previous step, create perfect circles using the QuickShape tool. Also, you can create ellipses to fill the gaps between the larger circles.
- Base 1 Color:
- Base 2 Color:
- Base 3 Color:
Create a new layer and clip it to Base 1. Make sure that you have an orange color selected and create an ellipse at the top. Also, add circles in the middle. Lastly, join the edges and the center circle with wavy lines.
Make the Base 2 layer a reference layer. Create another layer on top of Base 2. Drag and drop color into the semicircle.
Offset the Fill layer to the right. Change the blending mode of the Base 2 and Fill layers from Normal to Color Dodge.
That's It! Now You Know How to Make a Circle in Procreate
Congratulations, you have succeeded! You've learned how to draw a perfect circle in Procreate. Here is our final result:
Did you like this tutorial on how to draw a perfect circle in Procreate? Then you may also like these Procreate tutorials from Envato Tuts+:
- ProcreateHow to Animate in ProcreateAkanksha Rawat
- Procreate30+ Best Procreate Tutorials for Beginners and Advanced!Daisy Ein
- ProcreateA to Z of Procreate: Tips, Tricks, and Hacks!Kezz Bracey
- ProcreateHow to Create a Punk-Rock Portrait in ProcreateMaria Dimova
- BrushesHow to Create and Customize Procreate BrushesDaisy Ein
- Procreate50+ Best Procreate Brushes (Download These Brush Sets Now!)Daisy Ein