In this tutorial, you will have the opportunity to learn how to use the Gradient Mesh Tool to draw a Halloween banner.
1. How to Draw the Jack O'Lantern
To draw the pumpkin, consult my How to Create a Thanksgiving Background with a Pumpkin and Leaves in Adobe Illustrator tutorial.
- Gradient Mesh ToolHow to Create a Thanksgiving Background With a Pumpkin and Leaves in Adobe IllustratorVladimir Galantsev
Modify the pumpkin with Effect > Warp > Inflate, using -18% Bend.
Use Object > Expand Appearance afterwards.
Begin drawing the cutouts with Mesh.
Create an orange rectangle—the color is
Next, grab the Mesh Tool (U). Click to create nodes, which in turn create a Mesh Grid.
When you have a thick enough mesh grid, grab the edges of the
rectangle and move them to make the shape look like the one below.
Once you're done with the shaping, select
the nodes on the right edge (they are already colored differently in the
screenshot) and color them with
Next, select the nodes that are darker (they're selected below) and proceed to change their color to
Always make sure to select the nodes that are selected in each screenshot below and apply the corresponding color to them!
Continue using Mesh. Use these colors:
Draw one more part.
Combine the elements we made.
Continue using Mesh.
#2E1A0B triangle and create the next part.
#381904 part to complete the look.
Place the elements onto the pumpkin.
2. How to Complete the Banner
Draw a spider's web with the Pen Tool. Use the
Use a specific Stroke profile to draw black branches.
Create a dead tree out of the branches, and then Expand them and Unite them in the Pathfinder panel.
Draw a black house with
Draw the moon. To create this round Mesh grid, begin with a rectangle and bend that into a circle.
Color it with these colors:
Set it to 80% Opacity.
Draw the Mesh banner.
Add a black border.
Add all the details. You can learn to draw the bats in this tutorial of mine:
Awesome Work, You're Now Done!
I hope you enjoyed the tutorial, and I would be super happy to see any results in the comments below!
Check out some of my other tutorials!
- HalloweenHow to Draw a Spooky Halloween Background in Adobe IllustratorVladimir Galantsev
- Gradient Mesh ToolHow to Draw a Winter Christmas Landscape With a Wooden Sign in Adobe IllustratorVladimir Galantsev
- Gradient Mesh ToolHow to Draw a Festive Theatre Stage in Adobe IllustratorVladimir Galantsev