You can create awesome Photoshop watercolor backgrounds for any of your graphic design projects using a Photoshop action. And in this quick tutorial, I'll show you how to transform a simple photo with a creative watercolor background Photoshop action.
How to Create a Watercolor Background Effect
Open your photo into Photoshop. Here I'll be using this Boy Portrait at 2000x1304 pixels.
Then load this Artist Photoshop Action into the Actions palette as well as the brush set that's included.
Create a New Layer and name it "brush." Select the Brush Tool (B) and use the brush to Fill in the areas where you'd like the effect to take place. Here I painted the boy and a little of the background. When you're ready, hit the Play button to play the action. This will give a blur background effect in Photoshop.
Earlier on, you may be prompted to make some manual adjustments. So adjust the Threshold Levels before continuing the action.
Finish the watercolor effect by experimenting with Adjustment Layers in the Sketch and Watercolor folders. Hide some layers or add a beautiful brown
#4a1905 and white Gradient Map for a nice color. Then use the brushes included with your action for more texture.
Here's the final effect. It's a great option for different forms of media like a watercolor music video.
Want to see this in real time? Check out the video above to see this watercolor background for Photoshop lesson at work!
5 Amazing Artistic Background Photoshop Effects From Envato Elements
1. Painting Photoshop Action (ABR, ATN, PAT)
If you want to create stunning artistic backgrounds for your illustration, this blur background effect for Photoshop action can help. Use it to create a background effect for videos.
2. Watercolor Photoshop Action (ABR, ATN, PAT)
Make your artwork pop by adding photo effects to the background. Use this Photoshop watercolor background action to enhance your art. This Photoshop action is great for creating watercolor artwork for a music video.
3. Scribbles Photoshop Action (ATN)
This scribble action is a great idea for a video effect background. This dynamic action creates stunning scribble art with just a few clicks. If watercolor background Photoshop effects are not for you, then try this!
4. Glitch Photoshop Action (ABR, ATN)
If you're looking for something edgier than a watercolor background for Photoshop, try this Photoshop glitch action. This can be used as a video effect background.
5. Artist Photoshop Action (ABR, ATN)
This artistic background effect will surely take your photographs and artwork to the next level. This mixture of texture and staining is great for a photo effects background.
A Bit More Detail
Looking to create artistic backgrounds with different styles for your projects? Learn more from our Photoshop experts. Check out the following tutorials:
- How to Create Artistic Backgrounds From Photos With These 3 Photoshop ActionsMelody Nieves27 Mar 2017
- How to Apply a Halftone Effect to Your Images With a Photoshop ActionMelody Nieves17 Mar 2017
- How to Create a Quick and Dirty Sketch From a Photograph With a Photoshop ActionMelody Nieves24 Mar 2017
- How to Create an Architectural Drawing From a PhotoMelody Nieves10 Jun 2023
- How to Create a Cyberpunk Photoshop Effect ActionMarko Kožokar15 May 2023
- How to Make Cool Glass Effects in Photoshop (With 3 Actions)Marie Gardiner18 Jun 2023
- A to Z of Photoshop: Tips, Tricks, & Hacks!Abbey Esparza26 Jan 2021
- How to Create a Cloud Effect in PhotoshopJohn Negoita05 Oct 2023