Did you know that you can type along a path in Photoshop? This means your text doesn't have to follow a neat horizontal line—it can be curved however you want! If you'd like to be able to do that, in this very short tutorial I'll show you how to type on a path in Photoshop.
What You'll Learn in This Type on a Path Photoshop Tutorial
- How to type along a path in Photoshop
- How to type in a circle in Photoshop
- How to change the position of text on a path
What You'll Need
You can use your own assets for this tutorial, but if you want to achieve the same effect as me, here are the files you will need:
1. How to Type on a Path in Photoshop
Open the parrot image, or create a New File. Take the Curvature Pen Tool (P) and draw your path. This tool makes it very easy to draw a path—just click and drag without worrying about any handles.
Now, take the Type Tool (T) and place the cursor over the beginning of the curve. Once the cursor's appearance changes, click to turn the path into a text area.
All you need to do now is to type your text! Adjust its size to fill the whole length of the path.
2. How to Type in a Circle in Photoshop
If you want to write text around a circle, you don't have to draw the path manually—you can just take the Ellipse Tool (U) and set its Mode to Path.
Then you can draw a circular path by holding Shift.
Once you have the path, you can use the same method as before to turn it into a text area.
What if you want to put the text inside the circle, not outside it? Take the Direct Selection Tool (A) and put it over the text. Once the cursor's appearance changes, click and drag the text down.
You can use the same tool to change the position of the text on the path—the right arrow cursor shows the beginning of the text area, and the left arrow cursor indicates the end of it.
Now you know how to type on a path in Photoshop, no matter the shape!
If you enjoyed this Photoshop type on a path tutorial, you may also be interested in our other tutorials for beginners:
- How to Adjust Kerning in PhotoshopMissChatz18 May 2022
- How to Create a Layered Floral Typography Text Effect in Adobe PhotoshopRose15 Apr 2021
- Create Light Painted Typography From Scratch in PhotoshopAlex Beltechi23 Mar 2020
- Use a Tattoo Font to Add a Realistic Tattoo to a Photo in PhotoshopMonika Zagrobelna03 Jul 2020
- How to Create a Double Exposure Inspired Text Effect in Adobe PhotoshopRose13 May 2020