Looking for an easy method of changing the opacity in InDesign? Adjusting transparency in InDesign is a very simple task, which we will be exploring in this tutorial.
In this quick tip tutorial, I will be showing you how to change the opacity of text in InDesign and how to change the opacity of an image in InDesign, all within a few simple steps.
What You'll Learn in This InDesign Opacity Tutorial
- How to change the text opacity in InDesign
- How to change the opacity of an image in InDesign
1. How to Change the Text Opacity in InDesign
Before we begin, you will need to ensure you have the Workspace set to Essentials so that you can access the Properties menu.
To select your text, hover the Selection Tool over the text box and click to select it.
Open the Properties menu, which can be found on the right side of the screen.
The Opacity setting can be found under the Appearance section of the settings.
To edit the Opacity, you can either type a value within the box or click on the > icon and drag the slider. The opacity of all the text within your selection will now be edited.
2. How to Change the Opacity of an Image in InDesign
First you will need to select your image by using the Selection Tool and clicking on it.
With the Properties menu open, I'm going to edit the opacity of this image of a beautiful mountain view by dragging the Opacity slider or typing a value in the box.
This is a particularly useful edit for images that need to be placed behind text as it can help the text stand out and become easier to read.
And We're Finished!
Now you know how to change the opacity in InDesign and how to make text and images transparent in InDesign. Thank you for following this tutorial with me, and I hope you had fun learning about this amazing software!
Discover More Brilliant InDesign Tutorials and Resources
If you enjoyed this tutorial on how to change the opacity in InDesign, make sure to visit these other amazing InDesign tutorials and resources from Envato Tuts+:
- How to Insert an Image in InDesignErica Gamet03 Dec 2021
- How to Create Type on a Path in InDesignZap Layden12 Nov 2022
- How to Make an Image Black and White in InDesignAshlee Harrell25 Sep 2022
- The Beginner’s Quick-Start Guide to InDesign (Tutorials, Tips & Resources)Grace Fussell11 Oct 2021
- How to Create a 3D Paper Cut-Out Text Effect in Adobe InDesignGrace Fussell08 Oct 2018
- Adobe InDesign for BeginnersDaniel Walter Scott18 Nov 2022