If you are looking to learn how to bold text in InDesign, you've come to the right place! This tutorial will walk you through the process of bolding text in InDesign like a pro. Bolding text in InDesign is an easy way to emphasize a word or phrase. It's also great for emphasizing heading or important points. I'll show you how to do it with just a few clicks.
What You'll Learn in This InDesign Bold Text Tutorial
- How to make letters bold in InDesign
- How to fake bold text in InDesign
What You'll Need
1. How to Make Letters Bold in InDesign
First, open the home magazine in InDesign and install the Olive Display fonts. File > Place the Egyptian hotel image. Grab the Type Tool (T) and type your text across the image. For this example, I'm using the quote "Not all who wander are lost." Use Olive Display Regular, 100 pt, Paper swatch and C50 M0 Y0 K0 swatch.
Highlight the 'Wander Are Lost.' text with the Type Tool (T). In the Character panel, click the Weight dropdown and select Bold. If you're having trouble finding the Character panel, go to Window > Types & Tables > Character.
2. How to Fake Bold Text in InDesign
Another way you can make text bold in InDesign is by applying a stroke. This method is useful if the particular font you're using doesn't have a bold weight. Switch the Bold font back to Regular and highlight it again with the Type Tool (T). Select Stroke in the Swatches panel and fill the stroke with the color blue we used earlier (C50 M0 Y0 K0).
With the text still highlighted, increase the Stroke Weight in the Stroke panel to your desired thickness. I'm using a 3 pt Weight.
Great Job! You Learned How to Make Text Bold in InDesign!
Now it's time to put your InDesign bold text skill to good use. In this tutorial, you learned how to bold text in InDesign and how to fake bold text using a stroke.
Learn Even More InDesign Basics!
The first time starting out with InDesign can be a little intimidating. You might even feel like you have no idea where to start. Don't worry, I've got you covered! Learn InDesign with this list of resources and tutorials that will make your experience a breeze.
- How to Add a QR Code to a FlyerErica Gamet21 Jan 2022
- Quick Tip: How to Create Pantone Colors in Your DesignsGrace Fussell09 Dec 2021
- The Beginner’s Guide to Prepping and Sending to PrintGrace Fussell27 Oct 2021
- A to Z of InDesign: Tips, Tricks, & Hacks!Daisy Ein01 Feb 2021
- How to Add Page Numbers in InDesignZap Layden19 Nov 2022
- How to Change the Font Color in InDesignDaisy Ein16 Mar 2023