Learn how to animate in Procreate. In this tutorial, I'll show you the step-by-step process of creating a vibrant text animation. You'll also learn how to make a GIF in Procreate and how to mask in Procreate to achieve a cool animation.
But if you're looking to grow your Procreate toolbox, visit Envato Elements. This unique subscription-based marketplace offers you unlimited Procreate brushes, palettes, and all the add-ons you'll need! Scroll down after this Procreate animation tutorial to find our selection of Procreate brush packs.
What You'll Learn in This Procreate Animation Tutorial
- How to create a custom canvas in Procreate
- How to use a font in text animation in Procreate
- How to create and use a layer mask in Procreate
- How to use a clipping mask in Procreate
- How to add accents to an animation in Procreate
The following asset was used during this Procreate animation tutorial:
1. How to Start a New Document in Procreate
- Artwork Name: Procreate Animation
- Width: 1700 px
- Height: 1000 px
- DPI: 300
- Color Profile: sRGB
2. How to Add Text to Procreate
Go to Layers, choose the background layer, and enter the following hexadecimal code:
- Color: Dark Blue
- Color: Pink
- Font: Nala Junior
- Size: 200 pt
- Tracking: 3.2%
3. How to Prepare the Text for Animation in Procreate
4. How to Create the First Frame for Animation in Procreate
- Opacity: 40%
- Color: Black
5. How to Use a Layer Mask in Text Animation
- Color: White
- Brush: Monoline under Calligraphy
6. How to Use a Clipping Mask in Procreate
- Onion skin frames: 7
- Onion skin opacity: 32%
- Color: Yellow
7. How to Add Accents to an Animation in Procreate
- Brush: Monoline
- Brush Size: 1 px
- Color: Cream
- Loop: Ping-Pong
- Frames per second: 15
8. How to Save the File for Animation in Procreate
Congratulations, You're Now Done!
In this Procreate animation tutorial, you learned how to animate in Procreate. We started by creating a rasterized layer from our Nala Junior Font, and then we added a layer mask to reveal the letters in this animation with Procreate. We also learned how to use a clipping mask in Procreate and added a clipping mask on top of that to complement the effect. Lastly, we added a few accents to jazz up the text animation. And now you know how to animate text in Procreate!
5 Top Procreate Brushes From Envato Elements to Use in 2022
Now you know how to animate on Procreate and how to make cool Procreate GIFs. If you'd like to expand your Procreate skills and tools, why don't you try Procreate brushes?
Envato Elements is the place to go if you're an avid design software user. For a flat monthly fee, you get unlimited Procreate brushes, Photoshop and Illustrator add-ons, fonts, graphic templates, and more!
Here are just five top Procreate brush packs you can use to make even cooler Procreate GIFs and Procreate animations.
1. Northern Lights Procreate Brushes (ABR, PROCREATE)
Fan of the Northern Lights? You can easily recreate them in your digital artwork with this Procreate brush pack. Just imagine how beautiful these will look if you use animation with Procreate! The download includes ten brushes, and as a bonus, you'll get Photoshop brush files as well!
2. Manga Procreate Brushes & Anime Pens (PROCREATE)
Take your Manga designs to the next level with this cool Procreate brush pack. The kit includes:
- eight custom brushes, designed to create the exact manga style
- four half-tone brushes and four G-pen brushes
- four anime color palettes
- detailed installation instructions
- unlimited support and future updates
3. Golden Glitter Procreate Brushes (BRUSHSET, SWATCHES, PNG)
Put this Procreate animation tutorial into practice with this brilliant Procreate brush pack. The kit includes five glitter brushes, ten black textured backgrounds, and a palette with five golden colors.
4. Procreate Liquid Brushes (BRUSHSET)
If you like abstract, modern designs, these Procreate brushes are for you. Easily make unique designs with these brushes made from real liquid images. And then you can make Procreate GIFs! The download includes ten Procreate brushes that work on the iOS app.
5. Rainbow Metallic Graffiti Procreate Brushes (BRUSHSET)
Graffiti brushes come in handy for a multitude of projects. Try this professional Procreate brush pack for your next Procreate animation. You'll get ten brushes that are perfect for lettering and illustrations.
Discover More Procreate Tutorials
If you liked this tutorial on how to animate on Procreate and how to make a GIF in Procreate, you might be interested in more. Luckily, here on Envato Tuts+ you can learn even more about this cool design software:
- ProcreateHow to Create a Punk-Rock Portrait in ProcreateMaria Dimova
- BrushesHow to Create and Customize Procreate BrushesDaisy Ein
- ProcreateHow to Install and Use Fonts in ProcreateDaisy Ein
- Procreate30+ Best Procreate Tutorials for Beginners and Advanced!Daisy Ein
- Procreate50+ Best Procreate Brushes (Download These Brush Sets Now!)Daisy Ein
- ProcreateHow to Do Calligraphy on ProcreateDaisy Ein
Editorial Note: This post has been updated with contributions from Maria Villanueva. Maria is the Associate Editor of the Tuts+ Design channel.