Underlining text is a pretty basic function in text editors, and it's available in Photoshop as well—it's just a little hidden. So in this short tutorial, I'll show you how to underline text in Photoshop!
What You'll Learn in This Underline Text Photoshop Tutorial
- How to underline text in Photoshop
- How to remove underline from text in Photoshop
- What to do if the underline option is turned off, and the text is still underlined
What You'll Need
You're free to use any assets for this tutorial, but if you like the effect I've achieved here, here are the files I've used:
1. How to Underline Text in Photoshop
Open Photoshop and take the Type Tool (T). Type your text.
Go to Window > Character or simply press Control-T—normally this is the shortcut for the Free Transform Tool, but when you're editing text, it opens the Character panel for you!
Select the part of the text that you want to underline, or select it all by pressing Control-A. Then simply pick the Underline option in the panel.
2. How to Remove Underline From Text in Photoshop
If you want to remove the underline, just open the Character panel again, select your underlined text, and click the same icon as before.
What if the underline option is turned off, and the text still looks underlined, like this?
In Photoshop, there are two ways to add text: you can click and drag to define the text area, or just click. In the first case, the text area is outlined by a rectangular bounding box. In the second case, the text area is indicated by a line under your text. It's not a part of the text—it disappears the moment you stop editing the text.
If this underline makes it harder for you to see the result (especially if you're working with typography), you can turn it off with the shortcut Control-H.
Now you know how to underline text in Photoshop, and how to remove the underline—even the most stubborn one!
If you liked this underline text Photoshop tutorial, you may also enjoy our other tutorials for beginners:
- How to Adjust Kerning in PhotoshopMissChatz18 May 2022
- How to Create a Layered Floral Typography Text Effect in Adobe PhotoshopRose15 Apr 2021
- How to Create a Poster Using Layer Masks in Adobe PhotoshopLaura Keung18 Apr 2018
- How to Create a Typography Dispersion Action in Adobe PhotoshopMarko Kožokar24 May 2019
- How to Create a Bold Floral Text Effect Quickly in Adobe PhotoshopRose13 Mar 2017