In this short tutorial, I'll show you how to rename layers in Photoshop. I'll also show you a trick to allow you to quickly rename multiple layers.
What You'll Learn in this Photoshop Layer Rename Tutorial
- How to rename layers in Photoshop
- How to rename multiple layers in Photoshop
- How to rename all layers in Photoshop
1. How to Rename a Layer in Photoshop
To rename a layer in Photoshop, you can select a layer and go to Layer > Rename Layer. You can also do it faster by double-clicking its current name. Press Enter to save the name, or Escape to cancel the operation.
2. How to Rename Multiple Layers in Photoshop
Sometimes, you may want multiple layers to have the same name so that you can quickly recognize their content. Photoshop doesn't have a function to rename multiple layers at once, but there are a few workarounds.
Make sure that all the layers you want to rename are all in one block on the stack. Select the uppermost of them, and rename it. Press Control-A, and then Control-C to copy the name.
Press the Tab key—this will automatically bring you to the layer below—and select the name of that layer.
Now simply press Control-V to rename the layer.
Continue this Tab > Control-V combination until you've renamed all the layers. This workaround may not be elegant, but it's surprisingly fast—unless you want to rename hundreds of layers.
If you have a lot of layers to rename, you might want to use a script. There are many of them available on the internet—I recommend this simple script by Kamil Khadeyev. It's very easy to use! Just download the script from the site and place it somewhere where it will be easy to access.
Now just select all the layers you want to rename, go to File > Scripts > Browse, and select the downloaded script. Type your new name, check Replace, and click OK.
Now you know how to rename all layers in Photoshop, both single and multiple ones!
You know how to rename a layer in Photoshop now, but don't go yet—we have plenty of other tutorials you may be interested in!
- Ultimate Guide: How to Rotate in PhotoshopMonika Zagrobelna19 Oct 2021
- How to Remove a Background in PhotoshopMonika Zagrobelna15 May 2020
- How to Cut Out an Image in PhotoshopIvan Gromov18 Apr 2021
- How to Blur a Background in PhotoshopMonika Zagrobelna30 Dec 2019
- How to Change the Background Color in PhotoshopIvan Gromov05 Nov 2020