If you want to learn how to remove blemishes in Photoshop, in this short tutorial I'll show you two very simple techniques for Photoshop blemish removal.
What You'll Learn in This Photoshop Blemish Removal Tutorial
- How to remove blemishes in Photoshop
- What are the Photoshop tools to remove blemishes?
- How to retouch skin in Photoshop to remove blemishes
- How to edit skin in Photoshop
How to Remove Blemishes in Photoshop
Open your photo. You can use this photo of a child with some paint on their face if you want to follow my steps directly.
Take the Spot Healing Brush (J). Set its type to Content-Aware.
Use the [ and ] keys to adjust the size of the brush to the size of the blemish. Then click (if the blemish is small), or drag (if it's bigger/longer).
In many cases, this will be enough to remove the blemish. However, if you're not happy with the result, it's possible to adjust it further. Take the Healing Brush Tool (J) this time. Set the Diffusion to 7 and Source to Sampled.
Adjust the size again. This time, place your brush over a part of the affected area, and look around. Is there any part of the skin that would look perfect here?
Move your brush there, hold the Alt key, and click—this will load the image into the brush.
Then move back to the affected area and click. The image loaded into the brush will be transplanted into this area!
Continue using the Healing Brush tool until you cover the whole affected area with new skin. To get the best results, move slowly and change small areas at a time. When loading the brush, look for the parts of the skin with similar coloration and texture. It may also be good to look at the original image to use it as a reference.
If you used both these methods and you're still not happy with the result, you may need a more advanced method for Photoshop blemish removal called "frequency separation". It's especially useful if the blemishes you want to remove are particularly big, the skin has a very visible texture, or the lighting is uneven across the face. In this case, you should try my other tutorial explaining this technique:
Now you know how to retouch skin in Photoshop using Photoshop tools to remove blemishes!
If you enjoyed this tutorial on how to edit skin in Photoshop, you may also like our other Photoshop tutorials and courses:
- Adobe Photoshop for BeginnersDaniel Walter Scott21 Oct 2022
- Photoshop Retouching for BeginnersAbbey Esparza22 Nov 2022
- How to Change the Color of Clothing in PhotoshopMonika Zagrobelna03 Dec 2022
- How to Blur a Background in PhotoshopMonika Zagrobelna30 Dec 2019
- How to Make a Fisheye Effect in PhotoshopAbbey Esparza22 Nov 2022
- How to Remove Green Screen in PhotoshopAbbey Esparza30 Jan 2023
- How to Desaturate in PhotoshopMarko Kožokar12 Dec 2022
- How to Fade an Image in PhotoshopMarko Kožokar23 Jan 2023