Welcome to this tutorial on masking hair in Photoshop. Whether you're a seasoned pro or just starting out in the world of digital image manipulation, knowing how to effectively isolate and edit hair can take your work to the next level. This quick guide will walk you through step-by-step instructions on how to mask hair in Photoshop.
What You'll Learn
- How to select hair in Photoshop
- How to do hair masking in Photoshop
How to Mask Hair in Photoshop
No matter the texture or color, all hair types go through similar first steps with Photoshop hair masking. Let's start by making a rough selection of the hair.
You can try using Select Subject, the Magnetic Lasso tool, or Quick Select.
Add a Layer Mask to the subject.
If any large chunks of hair need to be roughly masked in, use a hard Brush set to white for some manual Photoshop hair masking.
Once you've finished your rough masking of hair in Photoshop, make sure the layer mask is active and go to Select and Mask in the Windows > Properties panel.
Click on the Refine Hair button in the upper toolbar of Select and Mask.
Next, select the Refine Edge brush from the left side toolbar.
Check the box for Smart Radius under Edge Detection, and set the Radius to 3 px.
Drag the Refine Edge cursor along the hair's edge. If it captures too much inner hair or background, hold Alt/Option to remove it from the selection.
Finish by choosing Decontaminate Color, setting it to 70%.
That's how to do hair masking in Photoshop! You've successfully tackled the tricky realm of hair masking and refinement. With these techniques in your arsenal, you're on your way to becoming a pro at digital image manipulation.
Remember, practice makes perfect, so don't be afraid to experiment with different images featuring various hair types and textures. Happy editing!
- How to Use Generative Fill in PhotoshopAbbey Esparza30 Jul 2023
- How to Make the Background Transparent in PhotoshopAbbey Esparza14 Jun 2023
- 5 Overdone Photoshop Effects and How You Can Improve ThemAbbey Esparza06 Jun 2023
- How to Cut Out Hair in PhotoshopAbbey Esparza18 May 2023
- Photoshop Retouching for BeginnersAbbey Esparza22 Nov 2022
- How to Remove Green Screen in PhotoshopAbbey Esparza30 Jan 2023