Have you always wanted to learn how to make a star in Adobe InDesign? During this tutorial, you will learn how to use the document grid, the Pen Tool, and the Polygon Tool. You'll finish this tutorial with an arsenal of useful skills and a beautiful star, which you can use for flyers or even as part of an illustration.
What You'll Learn in This Tutorial on How to Make a Star in InDesign
- How to make a 5 point star in InDesign using the Polygon Tool
- How to make a star shape in InDesign using the document grid
What You'll Need
1. How to Make a 5 Point Star in InDesign Using the Polygon Tool
Open the fashion flyer template in InDesign. Select the Polygon Tool and create a shape in InDesign by holding down the Shift key.
With the shape and the Polygon Tool still selected, press Option and click the shape. The Polygon dialog box should appear.
Change the Number of Sides to 5 and the Star Inset to 50%. Click OK.
Copy (Command-C) and Paste (Command-V) this star and place the two yellow stars on either side of the 70% text.
2. How to Make a Star Shape in InDesign Using the Document Grid
Open the fashion flyer in InDesign, if you haven't already. Go to View > Grids & Guides > Show Document Grid. You should now see a grid on your pasteboard. If you don't see a grid, then your display mode is in preview. Press W on your keyboard to get out of preview mode. Zoom in (Command-+) on the pasteboard.
Select the Pen Tool (P) and make a star shape. Use the document grid to keep the sides similar in size.
If you need to adjust your star, select the Direct Selection Tool (A). Select a point on the star and adjust it. For this example, I am adjusting the bottom middle point on my star (highlighted in red).
You just learned how to create a shape in InDesign. The effect of a star can be used for anything from flyers to cards.
Learn InDesign Basics!
Learning how to make a star in InDesign is fairly easy. InDesign has a lot of hidden features and tools that make it much more powerful than it seems. These resources will help you make sense of InDesign from the inside out. With loads of practical tutorials, you'll learn how to create a table, create text box links, make a triangle, and so much more in InDesign.
- How to Create a Table in InDesignLaura Keung05 Jul 2022
- How to Link Text Boxes in InDesignAshlee Harrell15 Jun 2022
- How to Make a Triangle in InDesignErica Gamet06 Dec 2021
- How to Insert an Image in InDesignErica Gamet03 Dec 2021
- How to Turn Off Hyphenation in InDesignErica Gamet25 Dec 2021
- How to Curve Text in InDesignZap Layden21 Jun 2021