Need to insert an image in Publisher? In this tutorial, we'll walk through how to insert a picture in Affinity Publisher. We'll also show you how to embed images in Affinity Publisher and what different methods there are.
How to Insert an Image in Affinity Publisher
There are primarily two ways to insert an image in Affinity Publisher. Let's start out with one of the easiest ways: the Place Image Tool.
You can find the Place Image Tool in your toolbar, halfway down on the left-hand side, as highlighted below. Simply click on this tool, and Affinity Publisher will prompt you to select an image from your computer.
Once you've selected an image, your cursor will change—this is prompting us to place the image into the document. Choose from the following:
- Single click to place your image at its default size.
- Click and drag to place your image at a size that you determine. The size will depend on how large an area you draw when clicking and dragging.
And voila! Your image has been inserted.
You can also insert an image in Publisher by going to File > Place. This works very similarly to using the Place Image Tool—you will, once again, be prompted to choose an image from your computer.
Then, you will once again follow Step 2 to place your image.
However, there may be times when you need to insert image in Publisher—but instead, into an existing design. Let's take a look at this concept, using this Affinity Publisher design template.
This design has a number of placeholders where we can insert our imagery. You could do the same in your own design work by using the Picture Frame Rectangle Tool, for example. Think of it like laying out where you want your images to go before placing them.
Begin by selecting the frame where you'd like to place your image. Then, go to File > Place. Then, you'll follow the same steps as before: select an image from your computer, and Affinity Publisher will place it into the selected frame.
However, this is a great opportunity to talk about resizing your placed image. In this example, notice how we have arrows in the center of our image. We can click and drag on these arrows to reposition our image.
Note that you can also double-click on the image to select the image itself within this frame. This allows you to further resize and adjust your image, rather than adjusting the frame containing the image.
Now that you've learned how to insert a picture in Affinity Publisher, let's discuss how to embed images in Affinity Publisher too. Keep in mind that Affinity Publisher can either embed or link the images within your Affinity Publisher document. Here's the difference:
- Linked files are located outside your document—for example, an image located on your computer. This means that your Affinity Publisher document is going to "link" to that file; if it doesn't exist in that location anymore, Affinity Publisher can't access it.
- Embedded files are embedded within your document. This means it's stored within the Affinity Publisher document itself. This might sound handy, but it will also increase your file size.
You can change your preference via File > Document Setup. Under Document, choose between the Image Placement choices.
But what if you want to change existing images from embedded to linked, or vice versa? Affinity Publisher makes that easy for us too.
Go to Window > Resource Manager, and Affinity Publisher will show you a list of the resources in your document. You can then change between making this an embedded or linked resource.
Now You Know How to Insert a Picture in Affinity Publisher
Once you know how to insert an image in Affinity Publisher, it'll feel second nature because it's really quite simple! It's an essential process for working in Publisher, and now that you know how to do it, what will you create?
Want to learn even more about Affinity Publisher? Check out these free tutorials from Envato Tuts+ to keep learning about Affinity Publisher today:
- How Do You Spell Check in Affinity Publisher?Daisy Ein04 Jan 2023
- Affinity Publisher: Your Guide to InDesign’s New RivalGrace Fussell03 Jun 2022
- A to Z of Affinity Publisher: Tips, Tricks, and HacksDaisy Ein27 May 2021
- Top 6 New Features From the Affinity Version 2.0 AnnouncementDaisy Ein15 Nov 2022
- 20+ Affinity Publisher Tutorials (Including Free Affinity Publisher Templates!)Nona Blackman26 Sep 2020
- How to Save a PDF in Affinity Publisher (For Web & for Print)Zap Layden21 Dec 2020