Have you been wondering how to edit existing text in InDesign? In this quick tip tutorial, I will be showing you how to select and edit text in InDesign in a few quick and easy steps.
What You'll Learn in This Tutorial on How to Edit Text in InDesign
- How to select a text box in InDesign
- How to edit a text box in InDesign
- How to edit text in InDesign
1. How to Select a Text Box in InDesign
To select a text box, simply hover the Selection Tool over the text, and click on it. A bounding box should now appear around the text to show it has been selected.
2. How to Edit a Text Box in InDesign
Before editing the text, you will need to make sure you have the Workspace set to Typography to ensure all of the menu settings are visible.
To do this, find the Workspace menu in the top-right corner of the screen and click on it to open up the menu.
Click on the Typography option to switch to this Workspace.
You should now see the full menu appear on the right side of the screen. There are a range of settings you can edit here, but in this tutorial we are going to select the Character option.
You can edit a variety of text settings within this menu; here I've changed the style of the font to Italic. Any text within the selected bounding box will have the changes applied to it.
3. How to Edit Text in InDesign
You can also edit specific sections of text within a text box. To do this, place your cursor at the end of the section you would like to edit by double-clicking within the text box.
Click, hold, and drag over the text you would like to select. Your selected text should now be highlighted in black.
Here, I set the text style to Regular. As you can see in the image below, only the highlighted text has this change applied.
Now We're Finished!
Now you know how to select a text box in InDesign, how to edit a template in InDesign, and how to edit text in InDesign. Thank you for following this tutorial with me, and I hope you enjoyed learning more about this cool software.
Discover More Amazing InDesign Tutorials and Resources
If you liked this tutorial on how to edit text in InDesign, make sure to visit these other great InDesign tutorials and resources from Envato Tuts+:
- Adobe InDesign for BeginnersDaniel Walter Scott15 Apr 2023
- How to Change the Background Color in InDesignAshlee Harrell30 Oct 2022
- What Is Adobe InDesign?Andrew Blackman28 Aug 2022
- 25 Creative Free InDesign TemplatesMelody Nieves22 May 2022
- How to Turn Off Hyphenation in InDesignErica Gamet24 Mar 2023
- How to Make a Grid in InDesignAshlee Harrell09 Jan 2023