In the following tutorial, you will learn how to draw an arrow in Affinity Designer. We will go through two simple methods that are available in Affinity Designer for creating arrows. Let's begin!
If you don't have time to make an Affinity Designer arrow, you can always try Envato Elements, where you can get unlimited downloads of graphics, photos, fonts, and much more—all ready to be used in your projects.
What You'll Learn in This Tutorial
- How to draw an arrow in Affinity Designer using the Stroke panel
- How to draw an arrow in Affinity Designer using the Arrow Tool
- How to draw a round arrow in Affinity Designer
1. How to Draw an Arrow Using the Stroke Panel
Launch Affinity Designer and create a new document.
First, draw a straight line. Take the Pen Tool (P) and trace out a horizontal line, while pressing the Shift key for a perfect horizontal line. Make sure to apply a stroke to it in the Control Toolbar at the top of your document. Any size will work.
Alternatively, you can open the Stroke panel by going to View > Studio > Stroke. Let's now focus on the Start and End options.
While the path stays selected, click on Start to open the entire drop-down menu. Choose from a selection of 25 styles that you can use to style the start of your path. In the examples below, I have used the following:
- Datum 60, Filled
Next, click on End to open the entire drop-down menu. Choose the arrowhead that you prefer from the list in order to style the end of your path. In the examples below, you can see the following:
- Triangle, Tall
- Simple, Wide
To position the arrowhead, you can choose either Place arrow within the line or Place arrow at the end of the line.
Click the Swap arrow head with tail button from the Stroke panel to quickly swap the start and end options of your Affinity Designer arrow.
To make the arrow look more pronounced, increase the Width of the stroke as much as needed.
If you want to know how to draw a round arrow in Affinity Designer, first select the Node Tool (A). Click somewhere in the middle of the path when you notice that the cursor has the ~ symbol next to it, and drag it down/up as you wish. This will create a curve and make your arrow rounded. How easy is this?
2. How to Draw an Arrow Using the Arrow Tool
Locate the Arrow Tool in the Tools panel, and then click and drag on your artboard to draw an arrow. Give it a stroke, if you fancy, and a color fill, a gradient fill, or even a pattern fill. Do this in the Control Toolbar at the top of your document.
The Affinity Designer Arrow Tool has plenty of options available, and you can modify the arrow in numerous ways. Let's go through them.
Move the Thickness slider from 0% to 100% to control the height of the arrow's body.
You can also easily change the ends of your Affinity Designer arrow. Open the drop-down menu and choose from a list of ten options to style the left end of your arrow.
Choose the style of the right end of your arrow in the same way.
You can also adjust the Size and Length of your arrowheads. Choose a value that works best for you by dragging the slider from 0% up to the maximum value allowed. This depends on each style.
When Proportional is selected, if the shape is resized horizontally, the arrowhead retains its proportions and the body shrinks or stretches.
Now you know how to draw an arrow in Affinity Designer. Explore all the settings and options available and create a unique arrow that is perfect for your project.
Make sure to check out Envato Elements, where you will find plenty of resources that might inspire you to create cool designs or download them ready to use.
Want to Learn More About Affinity Designer?
We have loads of tutorials on Envato Tuts+ that teach many other useful techniques. Here is a list of tutorials specially made for you. Take a look!
- Affinity Designer Quick Start CourseKezz Bracey23 Dec 2022
- A to Z of Affinity Designer: Tips, Tricks, and Hacks!Kezz Bracey24 Jun 2021
- How to Crop in Affinity DesignerDiana Toma04 Nov 2022
- How to Remove a Background in Affinity DesignerDiana Toma03 Oct 2022
- How to Export SVG From Affinity DesignerDiana Toma13 Oct 2022
- How to Curve Text in Affinity DesignerAndrei Marius02 May 2023
- How to Create Patterns in Affinity DesignerAndrei Stefan24 Jul 2020
- How to Create a Stylish Emoji in Affinity DesignerKamil Khadeyev10 Oct 2018
- How to Create a Lightning Bolt Logo Design in Affinity DesignerAndrei Marius06 Oct 2022
- How to Use Affinity Designer to Design a LogoZap Layden23 Feb 2021