We have the next all new VECTORTUTS Design Contest. This contest is about creating a super cute character design. Up for grabs is a Wacom tablet, a Logitech G9 laser mouse, free 12-month subscriptions to VECTORTUTS Plus and lots of credit to spend at our other sites. This is going to be a lot of fun! Learn all about the contest and how to enter at the jump!
About the Contest
Are you drawn to the adorable: big eyed kittens, crawling babies, puppies, fluffy white clouds, and happy rainbows. If so, then this contest will be right up your alley. Your challenge is to create the single cutest character ever made! Well, at least a really super happy and cute character!
Read on to find out more about How to Enter, Prizes, Terms & Conditions, review the Helpful Character Design Resources, and learn about our Sponsors. You may even want to stop by Cute Overload for some overwhelmingly cuddly inspiration. Feel free to leave a link to your favorite cute inspiration site in the comments as well. And get to sketching and composing cute vector characters.
Keep in mind that this is a vector dedicated site, so characters that appear to be from a vector program will have a greater chance of winning, though we'll be using the honor system here and not require anyone to prove the vector origin of files.
Entries are open between now and the end of December. So, get your entries in before December 31st. We'll be announcing the winners shortly after the New Year.
How to Enter
To enter the competition, contestants must submit any number of massively cute character design(s) into the VECTORTUTS Flickr Group. Be sure to utilize the following directions:
- Submit your character design via the VECTORTUTS Flickr Group, tagged with "vtcutecharacters."
- Submit a JPG image that is 600 pixels wide and your choice of height.
- Include in the description of your Flickr entry the program the design was created in and note on it's vector origin.
- Include in the description of your Flickr entry any stock or source images you have used including URLs.
- First Place Prizes:
- Second Place Prizes:
Third Place Prizes:
- 1 year VECTORTUTS Plus membership (valued at $117)
- 'Vector Graphics and Illustration: A Masterclass in Digital Image-making' or USD $25 cash (cash only if outside shipping area).
- $50 to spend on AudioJungle, Flashden, ThemeForest or VideoHive.
Terms & Conditions
- Entries into the competition must be entirely your work. If you use stock images in the composition, you must have an appropriate license to use the image and place a link to the image used in the description of your item.
- Entries must be submitted to the VECTORTUTS Flickr Group pool before midnight December 31st Eastern Standard Time.
- Plus memberships will be issued from the date of notification of the winners. They are not redeemable for cash.
- AudioJungle, FlashDen, ThemeForest, and VideoHive credit will be issued to a username provided by the winners. This prize is not redeemable for cash and can only be spent on those sites.
- Judging of the winners will be done by the editor and writing staff of VECTORTUTS in conjunction with the TUTS Manager. Our decision is final.
- Staff or regular writers of VECTORTUTS are not eligible to enter. Occasional contributors (i.e. people who have had less than 2 tutorials published on the site) are eligible to enter.
Helpful Character Design Resources
Character design is filled with creative energy. There is plenty of room for you to express a high degree of cuteness in your character designs. Below are a handful of helpful tutorials and resources to assist you with this contest.
How to Create a Cute Bunny Vector Character
In this Illustrator tutorial, I will show you how to create a cute bunny character. This tutorial uses simple shapes and gradients that are easy to apply to other character illustrations. The great thing about his tutorial is you don’t have to be an amazing artist to create it!
70 Cute and Cheeky Vector Animal Characters
This collection of 70 cute and cheeky vector animal characters provides a roundup of some fantastic fauna-based illustrations from across the web. We've got everything from bears to beavers to... well, weird—and strangely fat—Japanese-style bunnies.
Create a Super Happy Octopus Character
In Illustrator it's really easy to create fun characters with some simple shapes and the Pathfinder Panel. In the following tutorial I will explain how to create a Happy Octopus Character. You can use these techniques and elements to create whatever character you want!
Maintaining Rhythm and Flow in Vector Character Design
Rather than working rigidly and formulaic, it is more rewarding to produce art in a pliable and organic manner. As an animator, I strive to preserve and push rhythm and flow in design. Let's review some helpful approaches.
Create a Twitter Style Bird Mascot
Using some basic shapes, effects, and gradients I will show you how to create a Twitter mascot for your blog or website. Twitter is a popular free web service for social networking and micro-blogging. You can follow Vectips, Sean Hodge, or Collis Ta'eed on Twitter as well!
How to Turn a Sketch into a Fat Cat Vector Illustration
This tutorial aims to guide you from sketchbook to screen; a "Fat Cat" doodled with biro translated into a neat vector caricature. Intermediate knowledge of Adobe Illustrator is advised. Let’s take a look at how to create a cheeky cat illustration - from initial concept through to vector goodness.
Subscribe to the VECTORTUTS RSS Feed to stay up to date with the latest vector tutorials and articles.