Bring out the artist in you! Let's explore the hand-drawn illustration trend below.
Trend Watch: Hand-Drawn Illustration
One of the first ways we communicated as humans was through prehistoric art. We told magical stories of the world around us and the ideas we believed.
So it's no wonder why hand-drawn illustrations have continued to be a favorite pastime for many creatives. Not only is it a cathartic expression with rhythmic lines and blending, but it is one of the purest forms of getting our ideas and our history onto a canvas.
Today, we'll explore the hand-drawn illustration trend. Let's take a look at its key features and a few of our favorite resources!
What We Love About This Trend
Designers everywhere love to draw! Here are a few key features of this trend:
- Realistic Textures. No drawing expertise required. Though hand-drawn illustrations are imperative to many creatives, designers also create extraordinary packages to add that traditional touch to your work. Explore fun Photoshop brushes, realistic background textures and more for that authentic look.
- Relaxing and meditative. We often forget the meditative qualities of art, but hand-drawn illustrations remind us of its important use in our daily lives. Incorporate some doodling into your day with a fun and relaxing project!
- From doodles to detailed designs. There is beauty in both simple and complex design. Find your groove by exploring your interests in minimalist and detailed illustrations. Work on your patience by developing a skill set useful to many mediums.
Fun Hand-Drawing Lessons
No matter your skill level, you can try this trend! So check out these tutorials for more inspiration. Learn how to draw amazing illustrations using your favorite tools!
- Art Therapy: How to Draw a MandalaMonika Zagrobelna16 Oct 2017
- How to Create Hand-Drawn Frames in Adobe IllustratorMary Winkler10 Apr 2019
- How to Draw a Leaf Step by StepEugenia Hauss02 Nov 2017
- Hand Lettering: Scripts, Swirls, & FlourishesScott Biersack18 Mar 2021
- Learn Colored Pencil Techniques and How to Create a Trio of FlowersEugenia Hauss28 Dec 2017
- How to Draw a Dragon Step by StepMonika Zagrobelna24 Apr 2019
- How to Draw Spring Flowers With Colored PencilsEugenia Hauss07 Mar 2017
- How to Draw an OwlEugenia Hauss05 Jun 2017
- How to Draw a Car From ScratchJames Butler30 Aug 2016
- How to Draw an Orchid With Pastel PencilsEugenia Hauss03 May 2017
- How to Draw TreesMonika Zagrobelna28 Jul 2021
- How to Create a Hand-Drawn Pointillism PortraitMegan Eckman07 Mar 2014
- Use Ink Liners to Create a Skull and Roses DrawingEugenia Hauss01 Jun 2015
- How to Draw a Vintage Pin-Up Portrait Tattoo IllustrationLucy Pryor30 Sep 2015
- Design a Floral Pattern for Fabric in Adobe PhotoshopLidija Paradinovic Nagulov24 Sep 2015
- Transform a Stock Photo Into an Airbrushed and Stenciled IllustrationMary Winkler16 Oct 2014
- How to Ink a Comic Character in Adobe IllustratorSara Berntsson01 Sep 2015
- How to Draw and Render Realistic Fur With Pencils and CharcoalJames Butler26 May 2015
- Create Your Own Star Wars Fan Art With PencilsJames Butler25 Jun 2015
- The Basics of Drawing Type & Creating Your Own Handwritten FontGrace Fussell09 Jun 2021
25 Amazing Hand-Drawn Design Assets
Dive into this collection of quality goodies, from abstract backgrounds to print templates and more!
See yourself transformed into a work of art with this highly detailed Photoshop action. A one-click action that does all the work for you, this action includes brushes, patterns, and 20 color presets for more options. Great for Instagram and more!
One of the easiest ways to make your posts Instagram-worthy is with a creative mockup set. This high-quality package features 11 Photoshop scenes that are ready to use. Simply update the easy-to-use smart objects with your illustrations for a professional look! Give it a try!
Monograms highlight the letters of your name with class and style. So create a charming monogram perfect for any print or logo design. This luxurious set includes 10 vector monograms that are easy to update! Create unique branding packages and more with this pack!
Need a big pack of hand-drawn elements? We've got you covered! Featuring 280 elements to decorate your work, this massive pack includes many awesome elements you're sure to use. Enjoy amazing hand-drawn swashes, patterns, and elegant wreath designs.
Make your special day even more memorable with a hand-drawn design. This floral wedding invitation set includes various Photoshop files to complete your wedding creations. Enjoy standard high-quality files for thank you cards, official invites, and more. Free fonts included!
Combine two trends into one project for impeccable design! This set of geometric shapes is great for adding a modern touch to any print or poster. Included are 27 hand-drawn illustrations of various geometric shapes you can color and scale to any size. An elegant find!
Simplicity is key in this modern world. That's why this amazing pattern pack is great for any beginner to design! Get access to 15 hand-drawn gold and silver patterns for backgrounds, posters, and more! Or upgrade dull wrapping paper with creative patterns!
Flowers add a beautiful touch of nature to any work. So check out this divine black and white flower pattern. A seamless vector design of hand-drawn dahlias, this pattern is simple and easy to use. Just drag and drop it into your minimalist designs or color it for even more pop!
Create that majestic look with this set of hand-drawn vector feathers. Featuring nine detailed feathers with elegant curves and lines, this pack can help you create gorgeous dream catchers, backgrounds, and so much more. Add a beautiful gradient to make them stand out with exciting colors!
Transform your Day of the Dead theme with this brilliant Mexican skull illustration. Inspired by the detailed sugar skulls found around this special holiday, this illustration is completely vector and fully scalable. Use it on posters, invites, and more!
You don't have to miss out on this trend just because you're working digitally. Take our word for it with this brilliant set of Illustrator brushes. Inspired by pencil textures for that realistic traditional look, this set includes 30 total brushes. Adjust the color and stroke width as required for easy illustrations.
Get creative with a stylish doodle-inspired business card, designed with humorous characters and bold fonts. You'll be able to say exactly who you are with this nifty set. Update it easily in Adobe Photoshop by using the fully editable layers. You'll love these cards!
You can also get that traditional hand-drawn look with high-quality Photoshop brushes. Check out this magnificent set! Featuring 100 essential brush strokes of varying lengths, styles, and textures, this pack is perfect for digital illustrators. Add them to your paintings or print work quickly and easily!
Could your logos use something more? Consider a phenomenal gold wreath as an option. Featuring 30 hand-drawn brushes of amazing floral designs, this pack is a perfect addition to your design arsenal. Each wreath is fully resizable, and the text is editable for more customization.
Water scenes are calming to us all. So create a lovely landscape and nautical scene with this hand-drawn vector set. Featuring eight high-resolution vectors perfect for designers, these illustrations can be scaled to any size! Use them for postcards, invites, and posters!
Photo masks allow you to add creative overlays to your photography and digital art. This awesome set includes 30 hand-painted masks available in several formats. Choose from interesting shapes and styles for a unique and traditional edge.
Show your loved ones how special they are with a lovely hand-drawn card. This Photoshop template includes 11 hand-drawn designs inspired by love, geometric patterns, and colorful textures. It's fully editable and print ready, so you'll be able to enjoy this set today!
Channel the great musicians of our time with this beautiful music festival poster. Inspired by traditional mediums reminiscent of pastel and charcoal, this poster is elegant and print ready. The best part? It uses free fonts for easy editing.
Add a bit of sunshine into your designs with a pretty handmade sunburst. This set features 12 unique designs that vary in style and texture for all your vintage needs. Created with Adobe Illustrator, these sunbursts are scalable and fully editable.
Calligraphy is a stunning hand-lettering medium that is far from dying out! And you can celebrate your special day with this inspiring wedding package. A massive suite of premium goodies, this pack contains 15 Photoshop files of invites, thank you cards, and hand-drawn titles.
One of the most popular ways you'll see this trend play out is with creative layer styles. This chalkboard set, for instance, is great for beginners to Photoshop who love that traditional chalk look. Use it on menus, flyers, or logos for a classic traditional aesthetic.
We can't have a hand-drawn illustration list without at least one impeccable font! So check out the stunning Academy House typeface. Featuring a bouncy baseline and realistic grunge texture, this font is perfect for many hand lettering projects. Download it now to get 15 premade logos!
Olive oil is essential to any food lover. Have fun crafting your next delicious menu with a delightful set of hand-drawn illustrations. This set includes eight vector illustrations which can be easily inserted into any template. And they're great for olive lovers!
Clouds are always hard to draw, so let us give you a hand! Check out this helpful pack of abstract cloud doodles featuring a playful, casual design with many options to choose from. You can use these for children's illustrations and so much more. Try it out!
Travel the world of music with an exciting festival poster! This design features an awesome vintage-inspired look with hand-drawn elements like banners and titles. Also included are 10 bonus backgrounds for more print-ready options.
Show Us Your Hand-Drawn Illustrations!
If you're as fond of the hand-drawn illustration trend as we are, show us your work! Post a result showing us how you draw your designs, and let us know your favorite styles in the comments below.