What is one graphic element that you see dozens, if not hundreds, of times a day? Each of your favorite websites, applications, and software has at least one, and we're betting it's even had a major influence on what tools you decide to use. Any guesses?
If you guessed "icons," you guessed right! Icons are deceptively simple bits of graphic design, and contrary to popular belief, designing a good icon is not merely as simple as making a tiny graphic. Icons are so important that major brands like Apple and Microsoft have spent a lot of time and money solidifying their icon style for each product. From websites to mobile apps to your desktop - icons are everywhere. A good icon can entice a user to try an app, or simply ruin a user experience.
Veteran icon designer and Associate Editor of Vectortuts+ Kate McInnes knows a thing or two about icon design. Having worked for years as a successful icon designer, she decided it was time to share that experience with others by teaming up with Rockable Press to write her very first book called Rockstar Icon Designer.
In this book Kate not only teaches you how to whip up a good icon, but she takes you on a crash course through the world of icon design.
Here are some of the topics covered in the book:
- A historical overview of icons, from the first black and white IBM symbols to today's OS standards.
- A theoretical look at the creation of icons.
- The different perspectives and orientations of icons and when to use them.
- Different icon styles and important style guides.
- How to design an icon to meet the standards of common uses, including Apple iOS, Microsoft Windows, and more.
- Step by step tutorials for creating an icon in a variety of styles and perspectives.
- And more!
Every purchase comes with 3 digital versions of the book (PDF, ePub, and Kindle), so if you're looking to stop dabbling and want to become a Rockstar Icon Designer then get yourself a copy from Rockable's site