Here's a comprehensive article dedicated to everything newsletter design. Let's take a deep dive!
In this article, we’ll go through everything related to newsletter design. We'll look at different types of newsletters, the software to use, useful tips for creating templates for a newsletter, and many newsletter examples. We've gathered newsletter articles from all across Envato Tuts+, so pay attention to the articles along with some free newsletter template downloads!
If you are new to InDesign and need weekly newsletter templates or simple newsletter templates that are ready to use, don't forget to head over to Envato Elements and GraphicRiver. We’ve got many newsletter examples for you to get inspired by!
- Newsletter Templates32 Best School Newsletter Templates (For Classroom, Preschool, High School)Nona Blackman
- Adobe InDesignHow to Make a Holiday Newsletter TemplateDaisy Ein
What Is a Newsletter?
A newsletter is a great way to regularly communicate and engage with your audience. You can deliver valuable information about products and services, news updates from your company, and useful content for readers. Newsletter templates are essential if you are planning on regularly sending updates to your customers. Having a template that already aligns with your brand voice and style will make it easier to quickly update the information.
There are two ways of delivering newsletters:
Print newsletter templates are physical pieces of typically letter-size paper that can be mailed to customers. For many of us print geeks, we love a well-printed piece, and the advantage here is the choice between all the different paper types, weights, and finishes.
While it’s not as cost-effective as an email newsletter template, it’s nice to have something tangible that customers can interact with. A printed newsletter can also tell your customers they are worth the investment, and that will distinguish your company from your competitors.
This article compiles an amazing list of some of the best newsletter templates editable in InDesign. Whether you need a school newsletter template or simply want to get inspired by some newsletter design ideas, this article is worth checking out!
If you have an email account—which you most likely do—then you have received an email newsletter. It’s a cost-effective and environmentally friendly way to communicate with customers. The main purpose is to drive sales through useful information and exclusive discount coupons. Email newsletter templates can include CTAs (calls to action) and hyperlinks for consumers to quickly get to your website. Since everything is done electronically, you’ll be sure that your customers will receive the newsletter instantly.
Mailchimp is a flexible and easy-to-use email marketing service. In this article, you'll find a compilation of templates that you can simply drag and drop so that you don't sacrifice either the functionality or the visuals.
The Different Types of Newsletters
The type of newsletter you choose will depend on the reader and the company. We've compiled a useful list that can help you narrow down the type of newsletter and content that might better fit your a company or your client:
Marketing newsletters are used for businesses to advertise products and services. This type of newsletter is sent to potential customers to convert them into first-time customers and to convert existing customers into repeat customers. A marketing newsletter can be a one-page publication to be sent out quickly via mail or tucked into a bigger issue.
This one-page newsletter template tutorial is quick and simple to put together. If you are new to InDesign, this tutorial is super easy to follow, and you'll end up with a functional newsletter template.
The focus of a company newsletter template is the shared interests of the target audience and building a relationship between them and the company. This type of newsletter is usually free of charge as it serves as news updates for the organization. A few examples of organization/company newsletter templates are club newsletters, church newsletter templates, school newsletters, alumni newsletters, classroom newsletter templates, etc.
Learn how to create a clean and organized newsletter template with this InDesign tutorial. This newsletter design can serve up as a teacher newsletter template as the beginning of the school year approaches. Let parents know of the latest news at school by turning this into a parent newsletter template.
Expert newsletters are usually subscription-based as the recipient is someone who has an interest in the product or service of a company. These types of newsletters are fee-based and tend to be more elaborate. Good content and design are a must anytime, but especially when customers are paying for a subscription-based newsletter. Smaller details really matter here, so make sure to include page numbers and table of contents. Choosing the right printing method is important here to make sure you deliver a high-quality piece.
This sleek and modern real estate newsletter template is a perfect example of expert newsletter design templates. It's focused on a specific product/service and can be easily customized with your own content.
How to Design a Newsletter Template
Adobe InDesign is a leading subscription-based software package for desktop publishing today. This powerful program is loaded with many features that can help you craft any type of printed and digital document. Files created with Adobe InDesign can be printed professionally.
This printable newsletter template tutorial is the perfect clean layout to promote your goods and services. This quick and easy-to-edit newsletter layout features a six-column width, and its final size is an A4 newsletter format. It gives you lots of flexibility!
If you don’t have much knowledge of professional design software, Microsoft Word is a great option. Like many programs, it includes Microsoft newsletter templates for you to get started with and customize the content as you need.
This useful collection of newsletter templates for Word contains premium and free Microsoft Word newsletter templates that are super easy to edit. Get inspired by the different newsletter design ideas to spark your creativity and get started creating your own.
Google Docs Template
The great advantage of Google Docs is that everything lives online. You’ll be able to access your files from anywhere in the world. Like other desktop software, Google Docs templates can help you get started with a simple newsletter template layout, and you can customize the content.
- Google DocsBest of 2020: 30 Best Free Google Docs Templates From Across the WebTomas Laurinavicius
- Adobe InDesignHow to Create a Church Newsletter Template in InDesignLaura Keung
Desygner offers clean and customizable newsletter templates. This online maker lets you design with royalty-free resources while still keeping a professional look for your layout. You can share your work instantly online or download high-resolution files to print from home.
Smore is an online platform that lets you customize stylish newsletter templates. Send the finished newsletter online, and you can see the results through their analytics system.
Choose from thousands of templates and customize them easily with Visme. This versatile content creation tool lets you collaborate with a group so you and your co-workers have access to the templates.
Tips for Creating the Best Newsletters
The type of content included in a newsletter has been evolving in the last decade with the introduction of email newsletter templates. The way readers interact, absorb, and take action is different, but there are a few basic guidelines to consider when you're putting together your publication, printed or digital:
- Define the Content: Aim for quality over quantity. Give the readers valuable content they wouldn’t be able to get somewhere else: useful tips, exclusive interviews, etc.
- Effective Organisation: Content isn’t much if it’s not organized the right way. Stick to a few typefaces, use just one or a couple of pictures per page, and break up the text by using pull-quotes.
- Readability: Getting into the nitty-gritty of newsletters, make sure the content you’ve set on a page is enjoyable to read. Newsletters usually have two to four columns, so make sure these aren’t too narrow for the length of a specific story. Test font sizes and white space for the optimal user experience.
- Consistency: Be it email or printed newsletters, aim to have a consistent layout, especially issue to issue. It'll help you organize the content easier and save time, especially if your newsletter is delivered monthly. Make sure the repeating elements have the same style (footers, headers, page numbers, and department heads).
- InDesign TemplatesHow to Create Layout Templates in InDesign (For Magazines, Newsletters, and More!)Laura Keung
- Adobe InDesign10 Essential Tips in Creating Print DesignLaura Keung
Looking to take your printable newsletter templates to the next level? Here are a few ideas on how you could do that:
- Soft Marketing: A great newsletter won’t be completely filled with sales pitches; it should include interesting, informative content for the recipient. Try tackling your newsletter from this angle instead of a full marketing brochure.
- Try Other Formats: Newsletters don’t have to be 20 pages long anymore. It's better to have short but high-quality content, so try using a postcard as a different format. Make it interactive by using different types of folds that will get readers engaged.
- Complex Grids: Don’t be afraid of using multiple grids throughout your newsletter. Use up to four or five columns on a page, depending on the width and the length of the story.
- Contrast: Try adding small details that will make your newsletter pop. An eye-catching masthead, a contrasting drop cap, or even decorative type—just make sure that it goes with the theme of the story.
- GridsHow to Design With Grids and Break ThemLaura Keung
- Newsletter Templates33 Best Company Newsletter Templates (New for 2020)Melody Nieves
Below, we have compiled a small sample of the best newsletter templates we have at Envato Elements. These editable newsletter templates are perfect if you are pressed for time and want something that's easy to use and of the highest quality.
School Newsletter Template (INDD, IDML)
This clean and professional school newsletter template is perfect to send out and inform your readers about news within the school. This newsletter design is simple, minimalist, and fully editable. If you're using this as a classroom newsletter template, you can easily customize the colors and change the fonts through the paragraph styles.
Corporate Newsletter Template (INDD, IDML, IDT, IDD)
This company newsletter template includes ten pages of an easily editable layout. The clean and minimal look makes it suitable for a variety of types of newsletters to communicate valuable information.
Real Estate Newsletter Template (INDD, IDML)
This multipurpose document is suitable for anything from real estate to a kindergarten newsletter template. This simple newsletter layout is highly adaptable, so you can simply drop in your images and content and you are good to go!
Business Newsletter Template (INDD, IDML)
Looking for a bold pop of colour? This stylish business newsletter template is easy to edit, and you could adapt the colour to your own brand. Change the font to something more suitable that aligns with your brand voice, and you are ready to hit send!
Fashion Newsletter Template (INDD, IDML)
Make a fashion statement with this amazing newsletter design template. If you're looking to showcase as much photography as possible, this is the perfect newsletter layout for that! This template comes with 16 custom pages for you to mix and match.
If you are thinking of turning this into a festive newsletter, you can do so and use it as a Christmas newsletter template focused specifically on seasonal fashion outfits.
Holiday Newsletter Template (INDD, IDML)
Planning for the holidays? This holiday newsletter template is a great way to let your customers know about upcoming special offers. Show off large pictures so the readers can enjoy and get the full idea of vacation.
Multipurpose Newsletter Template (INDD, IDML)
Looking for a highly adaptable newsletter layout? This template includes four unique layouts that you can mix and match, so there's no limit to what you can create. With this fully editable newsletter template, you can change the font and colours to match your client. You could use this template for anything from a Christmas newsletter template to a cub scout newsletter template.
Family Newsletter Template (INDD, IDML)
Keep parents updated with this clean and versatile newsletter template. Easily update the images and content and turn it into a daycare newsletter template or family newsletter template. This newsletter template download contains 12 unique pages to play around with, and don't be afraid to add more pages as you need!
InDesign Newsletter Template (INDD)
This extraordinary business newsletter template is simple and easy to use. It has a fresh and modern look and can serve as an employee newsletter template. Perfect for company-wide communication, the design is easy to customize.
Bulletin Newsletter Template (INDD, MS Word, Pages)
Need a multipurpose newsletter design that's highly adaptable? Check out this awesome design, which includes 16 pages that you can customize. Perfect for a bulletin template, it gives you so much freedom to achieve any vibe you'd like. If you aren't versed in InDesign yet, you can use this newsletter template for Word and keep the look of a professional newsletter design!
Business Newsletter Template (INDD, IDML)
Looking for a professional and clean design? This monthly newsletter template is super versatile, with two different newsletter formats and ten different colour versions for you to choose from. This print newsletter template includes a column-based layout, making it highly adaptable.
Class Newsletter Template (INDD, IDML)
Ready for the school year to start? This class newsletter template is a perfect way to keep students and parents informed about the latest news and happenings at school. This newsletter is super colorful and allows you to change the colors to adapt it to a preschool newsletter template.
If you liked this article, you might like these:
- Resumes35+ Best Professional Business Resume Templates (Company CVs 2020)Andrew Childress
- InDesign Templates30+ Best InDesign Report TemplatesNona Blackman
- Flyers25 Best New Product Flyer Design Templates (Inspirational Examples 2020)Brenda Barron
- Minimalist22+ Free Minimalist Resume Templates (Word, InDesign, & More CV Designs)Brenda Barron
- Photoshop Actions35 Best Photoshop Dispersion Effects to Disintegrate Photos in StyleAndrew Childress
- InDesign Templates28 Best InDesign Book Templates (Layout & Cover Templates)Melody Nieves
Subscribe below and we’ll send you a weekly email summary of all new Design & Illustration tutorials. Never miss out on learning about the next big thing.Update me weekly
Envato Tuts+ tutorials are translated into other languages by our community members—you can be involved too!Translate this post