Photoshop is clearly our favorite photo editing software. In this article, we have listed 100+ best Photoshop effects tutorials that will show you how to perform a wide range of tasks including age progression, Instagram-like effects, lomo effects, and light leaks, as well as vintage and retro effects that you can use to help improve your photo editing workflow.
Start at the beginning and learn how the basics of Photoshop with our free course over on our Envato Tuts+ YouTube channel on Photoshop for Beginners.
If you're looking for a quick way to make pro photo effects, then browse through our premium Photoshop effects and Photoshop actions, which can be purchased on Envato Elements. There are thousands of creative options to choose from. Scroll down to the bottom to see some of our favourites—otherwise, let's jump into our list of the best Photoshop effect tutorials.
Looking for a chilled-out walk-through? Try out our Watch Me Work series, based on our Photo Manipulation for Beginners course.
80+ Best Photoshop Effect Tutorials
Now, let's take a look at these free Photoshop effect tutorials!
Learn how to do just about anything to your photos, from double exposure effects to cut-outs and so much more. Dive into these Photoshop creative effects tutorials created just for you by Envato Tuts+.
- How to Make Someone Look Older in Adobe PhotoshopKirk Nelson08 Mar 2016
- How to Age a Photo in Adobe PhotoshopKirk Nelson12 Feb 2016
- Quick Tip: Create Light Leaks and Lomo Effects Using Actions in PhotoshopMike Moloney07 Sep 2012
- How to Combine a Crocodile and a Frog in PhotoshopJason Stanley14 May 2020
- Swap Faces With PhotoshopMartin Perhiniak12 Dec 2012
- Use Split Frequency Healing to Retouch a Photo in PhotoshopDaniel Meadows15 May 2012
- How to Create Masks of Transparent Elements in PhotoshopArindam Bhaduri02 May 2012
- Integrate a 3D Render Into a Macro Photograph Using PhotoshopNacho Riesco10 Feb 2012
- Create Hipstamatic and Instagram Style Effects With Photoshop and RetrographerMark Heaps14 Dec 2011
- Photo Effects Week: Create a Cutout Photograph in PhotoshopMark Heaps24 Oct 2011
- Photo Effects Week: Create a Lamb's Coat in PhotoshopAlexandra Fomicheva24 Oct 2011
- How to Turn Humdrum Photos Into Cinematic PortraitsJames Davies16 Sep 2011
- Quick Tip: How To Fake a Tilt-Shift PhotoCory Cohoon06 May 2011
- How to Apply Textures to Uneven SurfacesJames Davies18 Mar 2011
- How to Simulate X-Ray Photography in PhotoshopJonathan Lam05 May 2020
- Adding a Realistic Tattoo the Easy Way with PhotoshopDennis Dunbar28 Sep 2009
- Changing Your BackgroundMartin Perhiniak28 Feb 2013
- How to Make the Most of the Info PanelMartin Perhiniak28 May 2013
- How To Remove a Person From a Photo in Photoshop Using Content Aware FillMartin Sitar28 May 2010
- Adobe Photoshop for Kids: Become the Wizard of Oz!Kirk Nelson28 Oct 2015
- How to Create an Awesome Dispersion Action in Adobe PhotoshopMarko Kožokar19 May 2020
- How to Create a Frankenstein's Monster Photo Manipulation in Adobe PhotoshopMelody Nieves24 Oct 2016
- How to Create an Awareness Avatar Action in Adobe PhotoshopMelody Nieves20 Oct 2016
- Create a Hot Air Balloon Scene From The Wizard of Oz in Adobe PhotoshopKirk Nelson29 Oct 2015
- How to Create a Tous-Les-Memes-Inspired, Isometric Scene Effect in PhotoshopKirk Nelson27 Sep 2018
- How to Create a Dark Photo Effect Action for Beginners in Adobe PhotoshopMarko Kožokar26 Feb 2018
- Photoshop in 60 Seconds: How to Create an Easy Sketch Effect With ActionsMelody Nieves23 Sep 2016
- How to Combine Photography & Type for a Dramatic EffectGrace Fussell16 Aug 2016
- How to Create a Retro 90s Grunge Photo Effect in Adobe PhotoshopMelody Nieves29 Sep 2020
- How to Create a Ghosted Dancer Effect in Adobe PhotoshopKirk Nelson04 Aug 2016
- Create an Illustrated Watercolor and Ink Photo Effect in PhotoshopSheridan Johns19 Feb 2014
- How to Create a Kaleidoscope Effect in Adobe PhotoshopKirk Nelson15 Nov 2019
- How to Create a Strip Fractal Mirror Effect in Adobe PhotoshopKirk Nelson01 Jun 2016
- Create a Devastating Twister With Photo Manipulation TechniquesShardul21 Oct 2015
- How to Colourise an Old Photograph in Adobe PhotoshopMarie Gardiner21 Oct 2015
- Adobe Photoshop for Kids: Mini-Me!Kirk Nelson08 Sep 2015
- Create a Glass Shard Reflection Double Exposure Effect in Adobe PhotoshopKirk Nelson26 Jun 2015
- Create a City Destruction Scene Photo Manipulation in Adobe PhotoshopJenny Le05 Jun 2015
- Create a Taylor Swift "Style" Inspired Double Exposure Effect in PhotoshopKirk Nelson05 May 2015
- How to Create a Painted Pet Portrait Effect in Adobe PhotoshopKirk Nelson23 Jan 2015
- How to Create a Photo Caricature in Adobe PhotoshopKirk Nelson01 Sep 2020
- Manipulate a Portrait Photo to Create a Splatter Paint EffectBrandon Spahn03 Dec 2013
- Use Retouching Techniques to Create a Caricature From a PhotoGabor Richter07 Oct 2013
- Add Dramatic Rain to a Photo in PhotoshopTony Aube26 Aug 2019
- How to Add Realistic Falling Snow to a Photo in PhotoshopTony Aube19 Nov 2019
- How to Apply a Plastic Mask Effect to a PortraitStefka Pavlova05 Aug 2013
- Create a Soil Cake for Pie Charts and InfographicsAnton Egorov18 Jun 2013
- Create a Fantasy City Using Architectural PhotographsJonas De Ro23 May 2013
- Photoshop in 60 Seconds: How to Create a Cinematic Photo Effect With ActionsMelody Nieves05 Nov 2016
- How to Create a Glamorous Calavera Portrait in Adobe PhotoshopMelody Nieves02 Nov 2016
- How to Create a Vintage Photo Filter With Photoshop in 60 SecondsMelody Nieves20 Jan 2021
- What Are Photoshop Actions and How to Install Photoshop ActionsKirk Nelson20 Jan 2021
- How to Create a Sketch Effect Action in Adobe PhotoshopMarko Kožokar08 Jun 2022
- How to Create a Cool Glitch Photo Effect in Adobe PhotoshopMelody Nieves29 Jun 2022
- How to Create a Cyberpunk Photoshop Effect ActionMarko Kožokar14 Jan 2021
- How to Create a Living Galaxy Photo Effect in Adobe PhotoshopAbbey Esparza11 Jan 2021
- How to Create a Graffiti Effect in Adobe PhotoshopJohn Negoita25 Dec 2020
- How to Create Pop Art Photo Effects With Photoshop ActionsJohn Negoita24 Dec 2020
- How to Create a Dripping Paint Photoshop Effect ActionMarko Kožokar22 Dec 2020
- How to Create a Cloud Effect in PhotoshopJohn Negoita22 Mar 2021
- How to Turn a Photo Into Comic Book Art in Adobe PhotoshopJohn Negoita10 Dec 2020
- How to Create a Smoke Effect Photoshop ActionMonika Zagrobelna04 Mar 2021
- How to Create a Sparkle Overlay Effect in PhotoshopMonika Zagrobelna18 Nov 2020
- How to Create a GTA Photo Effect Action in Adobe PhotoshopMarko Kožokar02 Nov 2020
- How to Create an Architecture Sketch Effect in Adobe PhotoshopMarko Kožokar30 Oct 2020
- How to Use Photoshop ActionsMelody Nieves21 Oct 2020
- How to Create a Photo to Art Text Effect Photoshop ActionMarko Kožokar16 Oct 2020
- How to Create a Retro 90s Grunge Photo Effect in Adobe PhotoshopMelody Nieves29 Sep 2020
- How to Create a Photo Caricature in Adobe PhotoshopKirk Nelson01 Sep 2020
- How to Make a Sports Edit Effect in PhotoshopMarko Kožokar16 Aug 2021
- How to Create a Charcoal Drawing From a Photo (With a Photoshop Action)Melody Nieves12 Aug 2020
- How to Create a Photoshop Oil Painting EffectMarko Kožokar17 Feb 2021
- How to Make a Cool Photo Effect Album Cover Design in PhotoshopAbbey Esparza29 Jul 2020
- How to Make an Aesthetic Edit in Photoshop (Glitch Effect)Abbey Esparza29 Jul 2020
- How to Create a Glitter Effect Photoshop ActionMarko Kožokar27 Jul 2020
- How to Make a Pastel Effect in Photoshop (Aesthetic Edit Action)Ivan Gromov25 Jul 2020
- How to Create an Abstract Watercolor Effect Photoshop ActionMarko Kožokar21 Jul 2020
- How to Create a Palette Knife Photoshop ActionMarko Kožokar17 Jul 2020
- Dramatic Text on Fire Effect in PhotoshopCollis Ta'eed29 May 2020
- How to Create an Ink Sketch Photoshop ActionMarko Kožokar26 May 2020
- How to Create an Illustration Photoshop Action (From Photo to Illustration)Marko Kožokar21 Jun 2022
- How to Make a Photo Collage in PhotoshopMarko Kožokar30 Mar 2020
- How to Create a Rainbow Lens Flare Overlay Effect in PhotoshopIvan Gromov19 Mar 2020
- How to Use the Wind Blast Effect in Adobe PhotoshopLaura Keung18 Mar 2020
- Make a Trendy Double Exposure Effect in Adobe PhotoshopYulia Sokolova13 Mar 2020
20 Best Photoshop Effects Video Tutorials
If you're a visual person and prefer to watch Photoshop effects in action, I've got you covered with these free Photoshop creative effects tutorials.
The videos you're about to watch come from our playlist Learn Photo Effects. And don't forget to visit our Envato Tuts+ YouTube channel, where you'll find more easy Photoshop effect tutorials.
1. How to Create a Cool Glitch Photo Effect in Adobe Photoshop
Looking for out-of-the-box, creative photo editing ideas? Then this glitch effect Photoshop tutorial is for you. A glitch is a software error or bug that's often caused by a corrupted signal.
The kind of glitch created in this easy Photoshop effect tutorial is common to television or video games.
2. How to Make a Glowing Photo Effect to a Portrait in Photoshop
From our selection of the best Photoshop effect tutorials, we've got this one for you. This glow effect for Photoshop is inspired by African tribal makeup. You'll end up with a radiant effect thanks to this walkthrough.
3. How to Apply a 3D Anaglyph Effect in Photoshop
3D anaglyphs are really cool types of photo editing effects. To achieve the 3D photo effect, you'll learn how to create an image that contains two different colored images, one for each eye, using filters of typically red and cyan.
To experience that pop-out stereoscopic effect, you'll need 3D red cyan glasses. Nevertheless, it's worth checking this crazy, free Photoshop effect tutorial!
4. How to Create a Rainbow Lens Flare Overlay Effect in Photoshop
Rainbow effects are creative photo editing ideas. In this easy Photoshop effects tutorial, you can learn how to create a rainbow lens flare glow effect in Photoshop in a few steps.
5. How to Create a Color Double Exposure Effect in Adobe Photoshop Using an Action
There are plenty of photo editing ideas to try, like a color double exposure photo effect. This is one of the best Photoshop creative effect tutorials because it'll teach you how to combine two color images into one.
6. Make a Photoshop Action to Create a Portrait Photo Effect
Adobe portrait effects are always among the most useful types of Photoshop ideas to learn in tutorials.
In this free Photoshop creative effects tutorial, you'll learn to turn a photo into a ballpoint pen drawing. Then, once you have the action, you can easily apply the Photoshop edits to other photos.
7. How to Apply a Photo Filter or Effect in Photoshop
If you need photo filters, then this is the best Photoshop effect tutorial for you. This video is full of amazing Photoshop picture editing ideas and Adobe portrait effects.
8. How to Create a Photoshop Painting Effect
Painting effects in Photoshop can make for cool photo editing ideas. Why don't you check out this free Photoshop photo ideas tutorial to learn how to turn your pictures into paintings!
9. How to Create a Sketch Effect Action in Adobe Photoshop
This is one of our popular Photoshop effect tutorials. You'll learn how to turn your photos into advanced sketches in a few steps. Everyone can create Photoshop effects with these techniques, even those who've just opened Photoshop for the first time!
10. How to Create a Dreamy Glow Effect Photoshop Action
This free Photoshop photo effect tutorial explains how to create a dreamy glow effect in Photoshop, with soft blur and bokeh in the background. It can be used as a pretty Adobe portrait effect as well.
11. How to Create a Rubber Stamp Effect in Adobe Photoshop
Want more creative photo editing ideas? Have you ever seen a rubber stamp photo effect for Photoshop? We're sure this free Photoshop effect tutorial will blow your mind.
12. How to Create a Sparkle Overlay Effect in Photoshop
Sparkles help your cool photo editing ideas shine! Do you know how to create particle effects? You can use this Photoshop technique for many magical photo effects. In this easy Photoshop effects tutorial, you’ll learn how to create a sparkle overlay effect for your pictures.
13. How to Create a Photoshop Sepia Effect Action
We've got more useful types of Photoshop techniques for you, like this sepia tone effect. You'll learn how to recreate the traditional look of old photos in this free Photoshop photo effect tutorial.
14. How to Create a Photo to Pencil Drawing Effect in Photoshop
Want more Photoshop ideas tutorials with unique effects? Check this cool photo editing idea. In this easy Photoshop effect tutorial, you'll learn to turn a photo into a pencil drawing by following some simple steps! It's a simple way to create awesome Photoshop edits.
15. How to Make a Distressed Effect Photoshop Action
Here's an excellent video from our selection of Photoshop effect tutorials. In this tutorial on photo effects, you'll learn how to create a distressed effect with Photoshop techniques like using smart filters, adjustment layers, and overlay textures.
16. How to Turn a Photo Into Comic Book Art in Adobe Photoshop
Fan of comic books? Then this crazy Photoshop effect tutorial is for you. Learn how to turn a picture into comic book art by following one of the best Photoshop cartoon effects tutorials we've got.
17. How to Create a Light Leak Photoshop Color Effect
This Photoshop tutorial will teach you how to create Photoshop color effects for pictures using a light leak overlay and how to add an atmospheric fade effect with gradient fills and gradient maps. The look is authentic and reusable, so you can make more awesome Photoshop edits.
18. How to Create a Photo to Art Text Effect Photoshop Action
We've got more creative photo editing ideas to share, like this Photoshop tutorial about a photo effect to turn photos into art text effects. Just follow this free Photoshop effect tutorial.
19. How to Create a Vintage Fade Effect Photoshop Action
This free Photoshop photo effect tutorial will teach you how to create a vintage faded look using Photoshop effects like smart filters, adjustment layers, and overlay textures. If you want to dive deeper into the program, why not learn how to use these photo editing effects?
20. How to Create a Smoke Effect Photoshop Action
To close our selection of brilliant photo editing ideas, we've got this great photo effect for you. It'll teach you how to create a smoke Photoshop effect from scratch. It may seem like a pretty crazy Photoshop tutorial, but you'll see how much fun it is to create a realistic version of this effect.
10 Premium Photo Effects From Envato Elements
The Photoshop effects tutorials above cover a wide range of effects you can achieve through practice and persistence. Additionally, you can always check our Envato Tuts+ YouTube channel, where you'll find more Photoshop effects and photo editing ideas like this video:
But if you're short on time, you can always turn to the amazing selection of photo effects for Photoshop on Envato Elements for the best creative downloads. Here we have a collection of ten premium Photoshop effects guaranteed to transform your photos in a few short clicks. Enjoy!
1. 80's Style Text Mockups V2 (PSD)
Bring retro shine to your projects with these awesome Photoshop edits. This bundle includes ten unique styles that transform your words. Each one has a cool glow effect in Photoshop and works via Smart Objects. It's one of the coolest Photoshop text effects to download.
2. Soap Bubbles Photoshop Effect Action (ATN, PSD, JPG)
Try Soap Bubbles if you want to have fun with Photoshop text effects. The action works in a single click and the realistic results have just the right amount of silliness. Use it for any text and font style, and try the included backgrounds for interesting Photoshop edits.
3. Watercolor Action Effect for Photoshop (ATN, ABR, PAT)
Have a look at this watercolor painting effect for Photoshop! It lets you turn any portrait into a stunning aquarelle. You'll get to choose from 30 color looks when the action is played. There's no need to be a master of all the watercolor effect Photoshop techniques to create the look you want with this action.
4. Rorschach Effect Photoshop Brushes (ABR)
What do you see in the photo above? With 75 different Rorschach effects for Photoshop, that answer will vary depending on the one you choose. This bundle is filled with high-resolution brush textures that are versatile. Use these Rorschach effects in Photoshop to create decorative elements or backgrounds for flyers and more.
5. Anaglyph / Glitch Photo FX (PSD)
Anaglyph is a PSD file that's for anyone interested in making a glitch effect in Photoshop. What sets it apart is how well it can be applied to multiple types of photos. Portraits and landscapes all benefit from Anaglyph. Give it a look if you have photo editing ideas that can benefit from glitch effects in Photoshop.
6. Photoshop Cartoon Style Text Effects (PSD, ASL)
Feel free to get a little goofy with these Photoshop cartoon effects. There are ten distinct styles wrapped up in a neat download. With Smart Object replacement, swapping text only takes a couple of clicks. Try this pack if you're ready to turn type into fun Photoshop text effects.
7. Glitch Effect Photoshop Action (ATN)
Are you after a grittier version of the glitch effect for your Photoshop projects? Then your search is over. This action distorts images and creates dark, brooding scenes. It's the perfect selection for helping you put together your photo editing ideas.
8. Painting Effect Photoshop Action (ATN, ABR, PAT)
Hard to believe that's not an original work of art, isn't it? That's the quality of result you'll get after using this painting effect in Photoshop. Using the action doesn't require much work, but a video tutorial is included in case you need a hand. With this download, get ready to make some awesome Photoshop edits that can fit into any art gallery.
9. Neon Psychedelic Text Effect (PSD)
For works that need a vibrant touch, don't miss out on this. It's a unique glow effect for Photoshop that can be applied to type and logos, and it works in seconds. You can find full instructions and font links in the handy documentation PDF of these Photoshop text effects.
10. Vintage Comics Text Effects (PSD)
Go for the outlandish and bombastic with this Photoshop cartoon effect. It rips its style straight from the pages of classic comic books, and does a great job paying homage to the art form. There are ten effects included, meaning you can make awesome Photoshop edits from a single bundle.
Try These Awesome Photoshop Ideas and Tutorials Today!
Want to see more photo effects? Browse the incredible collection of Photoshop actions and cool Photoshop effects designed to transform your photos through GraphicRiver and Envato Elements.