Want a free year on Tuts+ (worth $180)? Start an InMotion Hosting plan for $3.49/mo.
There are two events in the annual calendar that are responsible for a huge portion of our inspiration as vector artists. It just so happens these days are side by side... Halloween and Day of the Dead (Día de Muertos).
This year, Tuts+ is giving you three weeks of vector educational content inspired by Halloween and Day of the Dead, and we're kicking off a new Community Project. Let's jump in and see what we've got planned over the next three weeks!
Please note: entries for the community project are now closed. However you're free to submit your designs if you're still wanting a challenge, they just won't be eligible for the showcase.
Halloween and Day of the Dead Are Coming!
All your favorite regular Tuts+ writers have came together to cover their favorite themes to do with the spooky holidays. Ranging from beginner quick tips all the way to more advanced tutorials. We even have a collaboration between two of our regular authors, Monika Zagrobelna and Miss Chat*Z.
Below is a sneak peek at what we have in store for you, every week day, this coming three weeks, ranging from print tutorials to illustration to text effect and icons - there's plenty for the scalable lover to follow!
Get Involved: Skull Decoration Challenge!
As part of celebrating these inspiring events, we're happy to announce the start of our Skull Decoration Challenge. You'll have just two and a half weeks to decorate and modify our skull template.
The beauty of decorating a skull in this challenge, is that you have multiple options. You can decorate it in either a Day of the Dead style or even Halloween. You may go completely off the tracks and try something completely unique and non-event-related... it's completely up to you!
Regular author, Chris Carey, has gone down the traditional route with a sugar skull design.
Regular author, Mary Winkler, went away from the theme in her example of decorating the skull. Check out her Disco Skull!
Interested in Decorating a Skull?
Would you like to participate in the Tuts+ Workshop: Skull Decoration Challenge? You have until the 30th October 2013 to finish and upload your skull to be included in the showcase article.
How to Enter this Tuts+ Workshop:
- Download the skull template - which includes an AI CS and EPS 10 version of the skull. Then modify it to whatever you wish!
- Upload your design to the comments here on this article, making sure the width of the design is a fixed width of 600 pixels. The art board is set to 600 pixels, so you shouldn't have to alter anything.
- Add your name, website (if any) and a short bio about you.
- That's it! We'll do the rest and collate all designs and showcase them at the end of the three weeks!
- Artwork must be uploaded to comments no later than 30th October 2013, this is due to publishing the total showcase on the 1st November 2013!
- Artwork can be any style or theme as long as it's vector and 100% your own work.
- It's up to you how you approach this challenge. You can modify the lines, colors, add patterns, gradients and more!
- You don't have to spend hours and hours on your piece, the project's aim is to be fun, fast and individual.
- You may submit more than one design.
- When you publish your work on this article, you agree that the graphic can be included in one or more articles on Tuts+ and perhaps shared with other readers on the Tuts+ network via social media.
- Have Fun!
Get Your Broomsticks Ready!
Keep your eyes open for your favorite theme and vector from our previews, it's going to be a blast! We look forward to seeing your spooky skull creations and hope you have a fantastic Halloween and Day of the Dead!